Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore Domain Controller 2003

Hello

Our Domain Controller Crashed, I built a new server with the same name, service pack and IE. I reboot the system into Directoy services, I did a restore of the system state to overwrite the system, then I rebooted the system, this seem to find the domain and user name when logging on. When i log onto to the system I see from the server wizard DCHP, DNS and active directory active. What I don't see is any information and active directory users and sites, is their a setting I need to change? I was expecting to see what I could see last night?

regards

Re: Restore Domain Controller 2003

did you do authoritative or non-authoritative restore ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Is this the only DC?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello

I Have two DC I tranfer the the roles to a new dc. But now I need to know for my own mind how to do this. I have set up test network with a server and PC but on a different subnet

I thought when I restore thesystem state on the dc I should be able to

NTDSUTIL
        roles
        connection
        connect to server dc
        q
        Then seize the roles

WHen I try this I get dsbind 0x6ba RPC server unavalible. Techcramel mentioned did you do authoritative or non-authoritative restore Where's that

Regards

Comment

If you have another DC, IMHO don't bother with restores, just create a new DC and let replication take its course

For information about restores, look on the main site: http://www.petri.com/restore-windows...-directory.htm
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello

That what did over the weekend, Its for my own piece of mind really.

Comment

an "authoritative" restore means, when you restore the DC, the information you put into the database will be authoritative.
              For isntance, if you do an authoritative restore on a database that's a month old, it will make that information authoritive, so any new users, won't exist for instance

if you do a non-authoritative restore, it will load the data from the backup, but it won't overwrite anything newer.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi,

Great answer
                I did an Authortative Restore of the database, I get an domain.ldf files and a dc.local-configuration.ldf Files, after the restore
                When I reboot the server I can't see AD. I get an Nameing error
                I think our AD is corrupt

regards

Comment

Working...
                X