DNS not resolving well

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS not resolving well

Hi, i have a windows 2003 server with sp2, its a DC and dns server, and from time ago i noticed that it not resolves well, for example i have problems with windows updates, the machines not find updates, give me error, and if i put the google dns 8.8.8.8 it works quickly but i need my dns working well.

I searched i my dns log but i dont see any problem, what can i do?

Re: DNS not resolving well

Are you using forwarders or root hints?

if forwarders, try changing to the OpenDNS ones -- generally very good performance from them
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Nop, im using the default configuration, always works me, i should use it?

Comment

How are the DC's TCP/IP settings configured? What addresses are you using for the DNS server and for the default gateway?
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I have static configuration for my TCP/IP settings, this server has the 192.168.5.18 and have the default gateway 192.168.5.6, it helps?

Comment

How is the LAN organised? Is it a simple simple scenario where you use a router for the gateway or do you you use a DC with internal and external network cards?

Your IP settings: are they are configured so that the static address and DNS server address are the same?

Have you tried Ossian's suggestion to use forwarders in your DNS server's configuration? Does that work for you?

I had an issue recently where one of our DC's which was also a DNS server had a hardware failure and was not gracefully removed from the domain. The clients experienced problems resolving certain sites after it failed, despite there being a second DNS server available. When I added forwarders to the DNS server (the primary and secondary DNS server addresses used by our ISP), everything worked fine again.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by elric_sax View Post
              Hi, i have a windows 2003 server with sp2, its a DC and dns server, and from time ago i noticed that it not resolves well, for example i have problems with windows updates, the machines not find updates, give me error, and if i put the google dns 8.8.8.8 it works quickly but i need my dns working well.

I searched i my dns log but i dont see any problem, what can i do?
              Same problem here

Comment

I have a simple network card with a fortigate between the adsl router and my dc, but this problem exist before the fortigate be online, and with the fortigate online if i put 8.8.8.8 works.

All my ips in my network are static, and every dc that is dns server have itself like a primary dns.

If the suggestion of ossian's is recomended for everbody, can you post a little howto of add forwarders to my dns server??

Thanks for your time and patience

Comment

http://www.grape-info.com/doc/win200...ard/index.html
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Use Tom's guide for adding the forwarders but i would recommend that you add your ISP's DNS servers rather than Googles.

Comment

Ok, i will try, thanks a lot, i report my results

Comment

If you are not sure of your ISP's servers, use opendns:
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Yeah, it works, yesterday i updated a machine all without problems.

Thanks a lot for all

Comment

Working...
                          X