Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing 2003 DC with new hardware, want to keep same name and IP

Hello All.

We want to upgrade our six year old DC running Windows 2003 SP2 with new server hardware and Windows 2008. We want to keep the same name and IP address for various reasons (we have 2000 some clients with hard coded DNS settings and NTP settings)

DCPROMO was run successfully with no errors at all. After a reboot, I removed the server from our domain (pgsd.org). The server is no longer listed in AD Domain Controllers, Computers or in ADSIedit. It is also no longer listed in DNS as a Name Server.

When I attempt to join the new server to our domain, I receive an error saying:
    The specified account already exists.

I cannot find this computer account ANYWHERE in AD. Can anyone help me?!?!

Re: Replacing 2003 DC with new hardware, want to keep same name and IP

how many other domain controllers do you have?
    Have you promo'd the new domain controller?

do a thorough search of the directory, just incase it's hiding somewhere... go right to the top of the tree, then do a search for computers.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Check AD Sites and Services, see if it's still listed under the site in there.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Search the main site for Metadata Cleanup
        (never mind -- here it is: http://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm)
        and follow instructions
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

*tehcamel - we have three other domain controllers. I can't promo the new DC because I can't set the name.

*cruachan - I thoroughly scoured Sites and Services, it is not listed there at all

*Ossian - I actually followed these directions already. The old dc does not show up in the metadata cleanup. Which leads me to believe that the dcpromo to remove the old server was successful.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

Are all the DC's replicating properly? Did you try running the metadata cleanup on each of them, just in case?

Restart the other DC's?
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

blood's suggestion is ideal - wait for replication to complete - give it a day then try.

Or you could force replication.

You could also use the metadata cleanup steps to pick different target servers, and make sure it is all cleaned up on there.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

In addition to blood's suggestion, run a DCDIAG as well to see what it shows.

Comment

Working...
                X