Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mysterious reactivation request in Windows 2003 R2 and a fully remote reactivation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mysterious reactivation request in Windows 2003 R2 and a fully remote reactivation

Dear forum!

I run multiple vm of Windows 2003 R2, which are copies of the same original vm. To each VM I give a different mac address (and use dhcp). The original VM was installed on identical virtual hardware, and it is activated.

On some instances I get the message:

"Since Windows was first activated on this computer, the hardware on the computer has changed significantly. Due to these changes, Windows must be reactivated within 3 days. Do you want to reactivate Windows now?"

All virtual machines hardware are identical but the mac address that I change. I fail to understand why this message appears.
    I tried to boot similar copies with different mac addresses but I don't see a pattern. Sometimes it appears and sometime it doesn't.

Can you explain this behaviour?

As I am more a Linux guy, I try to control the win machines via ssh.
    I looked for a way to make this reactivation with command line only and failed.
    The sysprep that looked promising resulted with the same message.

Is there a way to reactivate windows 2003 R2 in an automated way using command line only (I don't even see the GUI)?

Thanks for any info,
    Shahar

Re: mysterious reactivation request in Windows 2003 R2 and a fully remote reactivatio

I've found this:
    http://techpunch.wordpress.com/2008/...-command-line/

which suggests one option, however it seems you'd still need a way to display the graphical interface.

they have bought a suitable option into play for server 2008 - it's called slmgr,vbs
    that's not much help though.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: mysterious reactivation request in Windows 2003 R2 and a fully remote reactivatio

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      I've found this:
      [..]
      they have bought a suitable option into play for server 2008 - it's called slmgr,vbs
      that's not much help though.
      Thanks, tehcamel!

This looked promising, and I have found that in order to run slmgr.vbs, I have to install key management service. (google for download-key-management-service-kms-host-for-windows-server-2003 site:info)

and then changing a key is done via:
      cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk <KMS Key>

and activation is done via:
      cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

_but_ when trying to change to my key, I got:
      Error: 0xC004F050 The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is invalid

and when trying to activate I got:
      Error: product not found.

Update:
      I just found a relevant remark in the slmgr instructions:

Note: If you do not restart the computer after you install the KB968915.exe file, you may receive the following error message when you enter the product key:
      Error: 0xc004f050 The Software Licensing service reported that the product key is invalid

I will give it another try.
      Shahar
      Last edited by shahar; 7th November 2011, 08:21.

Comment

Originally posted by shahar View Post
        I will give it another try.
        Same error messages also if I reboot between the KMS installation steps (a reboot after installation of KMS 1.1 and a reboot after installation of KMS 1.2).

Any other ideas?
        Is this method limited to specific licenses only?
        Shahar

Comment

IIRC, KMS requires a volume license key (MAK) to be installed on the KMS server, so if you do not have one for 2003, you may have issues.

How many servers are we talking about -- I know manual re-activation is a hassle but it doesn't take too long!

Also, if you have any, it might be worth spending a support incident on this one.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I don't think you can activate a Server 2003 in KMS. It is my understanding that you can only activate Vista, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7.

You'll need to activate all servers manually again as far as i'm aware.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              You'll need to activate all servers manually again as far as i'm aware.
              Unless you have a nice VLK number.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Unless you have a nice VLK number.
                Very true but as the OP was suggesting that they needed to activate i presumed that they were not using a VLK

Comment

Yes Wullie, good point so I am now wondering what key the OP is using? I too made an assumption based on what I use (TechNet) and even 2008 R2 VMs that have already been activated, require activation again when you create a new VM from an already activated "template". (Gee I hope that make sense).

Windows Server 2003 with a VLK doesn't require activation and neither does a Server 2003 VM that has been created the same way as the 2008 method I use, as per above.

So shahar, how have you created your VMs and what keys have you used?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X