Unable to boot Server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to boot Server 2003

I have purchased a HP Proliant Server from a friend who works in i.t.
    The machine used to belong to a small company. Its still setup with their domain details. I have been unable to make my laptop part of the domain.
    I want to start again as I have a server 2003 disk but I just cant get the server to boot from the dvd as I cant get into the Bios
    I have tried pressing F1 F8 del etc. but with no joy.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Sas.

Re: Unable to boot Server 2003

does the server defintely have a dvdrom ?

no point tryin to boot off a dvd if it's only a cdrom drive..

try F9 to jump into the bios, also f10 or f12 have some effect on HP systems at times.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Sasman View Post
      I have purchased a HP Proliant Server from a friend who works in i.t.
      The machine used to belong to a small company. Its still setup with their domain details. I have been unable to make my laptop part of the domain.
      I want to start again as I have a server 2003 disk but I just cant get the server to boot from the dvd as I cant get into the Bios
      I have tried pressing F1 F8 del etc. but with no joy.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks
      Sas.
      AFAIK, ProLiant servers usually use F10 as their BIOS key. Or perhaps that's only post-Compaq ProLiants.
      • Are you using a USB keyboard? I've had sad times when USB devices were not recognized like they should have been at POST. Can you try a PS/2 keyboard? It's embarrassing, but I like to keep at least one or two of those old things around for just such an occasion.
      • You can also open up the old soldier and search for the CMOS reset button. It might also be a reset jumper rather than button. Give it a good ten second press while the server is powered off and completely unhooked from a power source
      • Re-seat all of your RAM just for good measure. Take it out, blow it off, put it back in. Grounding yourself first would be a happy thing.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Going to agree with both tehcamel and Nonapeptide:

If the disk is a DVD and the server only has a CDROM installed, that's issue #1.

Secondly, depending on the age of the server, you may need to use a PS/2 keyboard as stated. (And I believe it is F10, also )

Comment

Working...
        X