Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default Printer Keep chaning to XPS

Hello

I have been away on my return to million emails. Some users are complaining some application on the pc's on my network keeps changing they default printer to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer and it's creating a lot of headaches for then!!!!. On the domain controller The default printer is correct on the user pc the deault printer is micosoft XPS when i change this back then relogon it goes back to mircosoft xps? This happen on Windows 7 and vista PC

Regards

Re: Default Printer Keep chaning to XPS

How are the printers Deployed? Via GP, Logon Script, 3rd party software.

Are they shaired though the server, or does the server hand out direct connections (Is the Printer along the lines of \\Serverner\Printer, or \\PrinterIp\Printer)

Do you select what printer is ment to be your default printer (Be it in your GP, your Logon script or your 3rd party software).

We really need to know alot more then what the problem is to fix it, like what type of system are we talking about (Win7 Client with Redhat Server? Server2003? Server 2008? SBS2003? SBS2008?), along with if you have a dedicated print server, or if you run everything on a single box.

The more you tell us, the less we have to ask to answer your question.

Thanks,
    Wofen
    Good to be back....

Comment

Hello

Windows Serevr 2003 Drivers install on the server the printer is then shared, I go to the client machine add a network Printer that how the printers are added. Clients affected are vista and windows 7 connect on a domain

regards

Comment

If you don't need or use the XPS printer, delete it. Then see what it defaults to.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

This is still happening

Windows Domain 2003 Server, Our windows 7 and vista Client the default printer keeps changing, I donít know why. I install the printer drivers on the domain controller then share the printer. Then I go to the local machine then add a network printer which finds the shared printer. Then I set this as default on the client machine. Then it randomly changes to a different default printer.

Someone said this go to on GPO
          Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components
          \Terminal Services\Client/Server data redirection\Do not set default
          client printer to be the default printer in a session] " should be "not configured"

Right click the RDP-Tcp connection, and click Properties.
          In the Client Settings tab, ensure that you uncheck the "Use connection settings from user settings" or
          uncheck sub option "Default to main client printer".

Why should this affected the local machine if they donít use terminal services

Comment

On one of the clients that having problems remembering the desired Default Printer configuration, run these two commands first:

Code:
            Reg.exe QUERY "HKCU\Printers\Settings\Wizard" /v "Set As Default"
            Code:
            Reg.exe QUERY "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" /v "Device"
            post the results here.

_
            Next, change the value of "Set As Default" to 0
            this way:
            Code:
            Reg.exe ADD "HKCU\Printers\Settings\Wizard" /v "Set As Default" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /F
            Then manually set the desired Default Printer for this user on his/her computer. Log off/On once.
            The specific application hopefully now will no longer changing the Default Printer setting on this computer for this user.

_
            Originally posted by jwc1972 View Post
            Windows Serevr 2003 Drivers install on the server the printer is then shared, I go to the client machine add a network Printer that how the printers are added. Clients affected are vista and windows 7 connect on a domain
            note: After adding the network printer you now additionally have to set it the Default Printer manually!
            You have to do this PER User on the the computer, so it is easier to use GPO.

/Rems
            Last edited by Rems; 7th December 2011, 13:03.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Hello

whats does reg.exe /v do ?

attached screen of reg edit
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jwc1972 View Post
                Hello

whats does reg.exe /v do ?

attached screen of reg edit
                Hi,

You can run Reg.exe QUERY /? and Reg.exe ADD /? for more infomation.

_
                Both images you attached in the previous post showing the Printer-Settings-Wizard registrykey of 'some' user, are the two screenshots takwen from a different machine? or the same machine but different users?
                Note - you must be logged on as the user that's suffering the problem sitting behind his/her computer!

_
                Logon as the user on his/her computer and, run the three commands below. Copy and post the results please.
                Code:
                Reg.exe QUERY "HKCU\Printers\Settings\Wizard" /v "Set As Default"
                Code:
                Reg.exe QUERY "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" /v "Device"
                Code:
                Reg.exe QUERY "HKCU\Printers\Connections"|find ","
                /Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Hello

HKey_current_user\Printers\settings\wizard
                  set as default REG_Dword 0x0

HKEY_current_User\software\microsoft\windows NT\curentversion\windows

Device Reg_SZ \\dc\richo2500,winspool,ne02:

Anything else?

Comment

missed of

hkey_current_users\printers\connections\,,dc,main office

hkey_current_users\printers\connections\,,dc,richo 2500

Comment

Working...
                    X