licensing in server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• licensing in server 2003

I've noticed that license logging service is disabled by default in windows server 2003 sp1.

is licensing service in windows more for tracking assets and making sure you have a legitimate license count and not really preventing you from using the server?

I had this problem with windows 2000 server and volume licensing. All our clients are running windows XP and we had a volume license serial key and cd for it. But in windows server 2000 license logging it always complained that we exceeded our number of allowed licenses, but we have enough that was the problem.

Now with windows server 2003, when I turn on the logging service (we use per user/per device), after a day or two, it says in the license logging console there is a list of users that have exceeded the license count (and it seems all the users).

this is really bothersome as we do not use single cal for anything. All of our MS software have volume licensing. Our servers do and our clients and we definately buy enough licenses to cover all the users. We are on msdn academic licensing so we have unlimited number of clients can use xp as long as its within school boundaries.

so my question:

1. is there a way to have license manager work well with volume licensing

2. if licensing service is disabled (as it is now by default), can i still run a fully working AD enivronment? Are there any bad implications? i.e: windows server will deactivate or not function after certain number of days becaus ei don't have licensing turned on?

thanks guys,

Re: licensing in server 2003

1. is there a way to have license manager work well with volume licensing

I think that the server prompt you for missing CAL's. You may need to

"Licensing" settings under control panel to "Per Device or Per User" if your

license program allow this.

2. if licensing service is disabled (as it is now by default), can i still run a fully working AD enivronment? Are there any bad implications? i.e: windows server will deactivate or not function after certain number of days becaus ei don't have licensing turned on?

Beside some comment from the BSA, I saw networks that didnt enable license server. You should be aware also that you may get each day some errors on the event logs so I dont so reason why to stop this service.

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Re: licensing in server 2003

thanks for replying

yes i have set my licensing mode to: per user/per device

but server 2003 still complains that I have exceeded my quota. which is odd.

Comment

Working...
      X