Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user always using facebook -

Dears,

In our school we have a isa 2006 firewall and we have more then 300 users. They are managed in groups which are teachers they have access to youtube and fb. But the other students group there are many students that are able to use facebook for some unknown reason. I have created a rule which is able to block but he managed to join facebook via https and i have also managed to lock this damn site but he still is able to do it. I have also in our isa server installed GFI webmonitor which is in a group where people cannot use facebook but he still got access to that. I saw his user and he is no administrator or something else. Any ide how to lock this person using facebook?

Thanks so much

Re: user always using facebook -

Permissions on host file with 127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com in it?

Originally posted by yllnelaj View Post
    Dears,

In our school we have a isa 2006 firewall and we have more then 300 users. They are managed in groups which are teachers they have access to youtube and fb. But the other students group there are many students that are able to use facebook for some unknown reason. I have created a rule which is able to block but he managed to join facebook via https and i have also managed to lock this damn site but he still is able to do it. I have also in our isa server installed GFI webmonitor which is in a group where people cannot use facebook but he still got access to that. I saw his user and he is no administrator or something else. Any ide how to lock this person using facebook?

Thanks so much

Comment

Host files are not the best option, as Facebook has millions of entry points, and alot of them are on different domains to www.facebook.com so, Host files and alot of firewalls will not stop it.

I ahve not used ISA2006 to do something like this (Get a Netbox Blue, I am a big fan), but there is a forum post about this ...http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=42415

When I used to work at a school and we were unable to stop students, I would put a pointer into DNS, and then create a website that records the Computer IP, User Name and Time of Access. It also told them that all this data was being recorded.

While this will not stop every methiod, it catches enough that you can then start removing kids from class, and then Parents get involed, and you have this lovly list of there kids breaking the rules. This worked at my school, but I was at a Private school, so Parents actuly listened to us.

Other then that you need a content filter as well as a firewall, and I mean a real content filter, not a Firewall that can do content filtering. The Netbox has alot of advantages, as it will even allow you to allow MSN message, but block any offensive words being sent and recieved. It has a fantastic Level of controll and awesome support, but is not the cheapest.

For as long as you are using a Firewall you can only block Domains and IP's, and now that you can get Google to load Facebook in a Windows, ISA will see that as Google, but a content filter will see that as Google opening Facebook, allow the google part, and block the facebook.

Hope this helps,
      Wofen
      Good to be back....

Comment

a known list of IP's FB uses is

Could always try the DIG command from a linux box or find a utility to do it from a windows host.

http://www.kloth.net/services/dig.php
        "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Working...
        X