X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-sync old Domain controller

HI,

Windows 2003.

Could someone please remind me how to sync a domain controller that went off-line for a couple of months in our remote office (office was shut down, now it's open again).

Tried repadmin but it returns DsRplicaSync Failed - the target principal name isi ncorrect.

Assume the DNS is also out of date.

Local server here:

Nslookup is not returning an IP for the remote server. I can ping it fine if I add an entry in the host file.

On the remote server, nslookup works fine (I can look servers based here)

thanks for your help

Re: Re-sync old Domain controller

If it's been offline for a couple of months why would you want to bring it back online?

Comment

If it's been offline for more than tombstone lifetime minus the replication latency (which seems to be the case) follow these instructions: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi,

joeqwerty - The office is back in business.

L4ndy- Thanks for the link, much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by ITLondon View Post
          HI,

Windows 2003.

Could someone please remind me how to sync a domain controller that went off-line for a couple of months in our remote office (office was shut down, now it's open again).

Tried repadmin but it returns DsRplicaSync Failed - the target principal name isi ncorrect.

Assume the DNS is also out of date.

Local server here:

Nslookup is not returning an IP for the remote server. I can ping it fine if I add an entry in the host file.

On the remote server, nslookup works fine (I can look servers based here)

thanks for your help

Hi all,
          Follow the commands:

Disable the Kerberos Key Distribution Center service (KDC). To do so:
          1. Click Start, point to Programs, click Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
          2. Double-click KDC, set the startup type to Disabled, and then restart the computer.

After the computer restarts, use the Netdom utility to reset the secure channels between these DC's and the PDC Emulator operations master
          role holder. To do so, run the following command from the domain controllers other than the PDC Emulator operations master role holder:
          netdom resetpwd /server:server_name /userd:domain_name\administrator /passwordd:administrator_password
          Hope it works now.
          Thank you
          Anil
          Last edited by techmatrix; 4th October 2011, 12:17.

Comment

Have a read of Post #4 at the following link. http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...ght=tombstoned
            Not sure if this is what you require as I can't see from your post if the DC has been Tombstoned or not. 180 days (6 months) is the time required before a DC gets tombstoned but you only mention a couple of months.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Just to clarify, the tombstone lifetime pre-SP1 is 60 days but it has been increased to 180 with SP1. I guess the op needs to clarify.
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Good point. One should never assume SP2 since I will make an ass out of me and me .......... WAIT, that's not how it is supposed to work.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X