Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software to assist in Storage management

Hello Everyone,

First now, not sure if this is the right place, but this is the most right place I could find (there is no Storage Sub Forum), but this is for a Windows 2003 file server, so this is the best I guess.

I am looking for some help in managing a large Public shared drive that we have in our network, and its almost a weekly job for me to go though and clean up the drive.
    I want some way to be able to easily track what changes (Creation, changes, deletions) are made to the file, when and wow made these changes, and the total change in hard drive usage (Size of change).
    I would also like to be able to format basic reports.

I must be failing at the google as I ahve not been able to find any software (at lest that is below $5000) that will track file changes on a server Drive, but I can not believe that nothing like this exists, as there has to be a easy and simple way to find out why the Public drive lost 20GB overnight, but theres no 20GB files on the drive.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide
    Wofen
    Good to be back....

Re: Software to assist in Storage management

Object Access Auditing combined with some searching software (e.g. GFI EventViewer) would be a possible starting point
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for that point Ossian but I have not be able to find anything to help me track the amount of change in those Audit Logs. It does give me who access what and When so its a major start, but without the size I will still ahve to investigate a million 1kb changes to find the one 500MB change.

Still boggles the mind that there is no software out there that does this... time for me to write one me thinks..... time for me to remember that I am no programmer

Wofen
      Good to be back....

Comment

http://4rapiddev.com/resources/free-...7-server-2008/

???
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Love your work!!!

Thank you for that link, I was amazed I could not find anything, knew it had to be out there.

Thanks, I will install and test it and write back on how it goes.

Wofen
          Good to be back....

Comment

Working...
          X