Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I upgrade Windows 2000 to 2003 remotely???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I upgrade Windows 2000 to 2003 remotely???

Hi all-

I need to upgrade a server from Windows Server 2000 SP4 to 2003 R2. This is not a domain controller. I have admin rights to the server but the server is offsite in a data center that I do not have physical access to.

I have never done a 2000 --> 2003 upgrade so I have a few questions.

Will all the apps and files be intact with after the upgrade?

Is there any way to do the upgrade while being offsite. I have the physical 2003 R2 CD available and could copy it to the 2000 server and launch setup, but I'm guessing I need to boot from the 2003 CD, right?

THANKS!!!!

Dennis

Re: How do I upgrade Windows 2000 to 2003 remotely???

I always recommend a fresh install instead of upgrading. If you don't have some method of out-of-band access (iLo, iDRAC, IP KVM, etc) then you'll need physical access to the box.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      I always recommend a fresh install instead of upgrading. If you don't have some method of out-of-band access (iLo, iDRAC, IP KVM, etc) then you'll need physical access to the box.
      But with a fresh install won't I lose all the apps and files on that server? We do have Netbackup on that server so I'm assuming I could do a backup of the Windows 2000 machine and then do a restore once it's a 2003 server right? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by djtampaguy View Post
        But with a fresh install won't I lose all the apps and files on that server? We do have Netbackup on that server so I'm assuming I could do a backup of the Windows 2000 machine and then do a restore once it's a 2003 server right? Thanks!
        With a fresh install you would lose all the applications and data. You will need to backup or migrate the data off the server. Once you install 2003 you will need to install all the applications again and then move the data back. You cannot restore the configuration of Windows 2000 to a Windows 2003 install.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by djtampaguy View Post
          Except most applications will not work when moving between 2000 and 2003 (I am assuming this is a application server, as its not DC, and Applications would not matter on a file server).

Personally this falls into the area of "Its possible, but one slip up will be your head".

Can we have more details, is the server in the building across the road, is it in a different town, state, country?
          If the server is in a different building, get time off, Go there yourself (or send lacky if your a manager).
          If the server is in a different town, consider hiring someone to be onsite with IT knowledge so that you can talk them though getting the network connection backup if anything goes down.
          If its in a Differenet state I would recommend that you do a remote backup, build the server at your Head office, do 95% of the work at your office, then ship it to the new location.
          If the Item is in a different it depends again, if 3rd world, Fly there yourself. Its cheap, easier and will be alot less stressful (Trust me, DO NOT HIRE 3rd world "IT Experts")

Otherwise, if you MUST configure it remotly, I wish you the best luck, but I am not going to offer any advice to make it sound like a good idea (Becuse... its not).

I missed this the first time I read the OP
          I have never done a 2000 --> 2003 upgrade so I have a few questions.
          If you want to do your first install remotely, you are crazy! I do not want to sound insulting (but I am going to), but this is one of the most stupid ideas I have heard. You have NEVER done a 2000->2003 Migration, and you want to ask for advice on how to do it remotly, DONT! It will be the last move in your IT career!
          I would fire anyone who tried to do something as stupid as this (really, no offince) but think about how long that server would be down, and the lost income from that server being down for upwards of a Month.
          If you are being told you HAVE to do it remotly, get that in writing from the owner, stating that they accept the risk of the server being down and not being able to recover the data. It is this type of thing that can get your fired on the spot, and then sued for damages. Protect yourself, as someone is asking the near impossible of you.

Wofen
          Last edited by Wofen; 28th September 2011, 07:08.
          Good to be back....

Comment

Working...
          X