Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing & Remote Access (RRAS)

Dear Fellows,

I face a problem in my windows 2003 server R2. Its simple workgroup mode. I have 2 network interface. one have public IP address & second is connect with my LAN.
    I also installed mDaemon 11 on it & configure it. after this all I install RRAS on this machine. I just select NAT/Basic firewall. after this installation, I test my email port 25 & 110 from outside of my network but those ports are not access. but when I try to open port 80 or RDP. its open & working. Kindly suggest me some solution regarding this issue.

thanx.

Re: Routing & Remote Access (RRAS)

Any practical reason why you want to use the server for routing rather than a NATted router?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

dear Ossian,

I don't understand what do u mean about nated router?

Comment

Most routers (for small businesses) allow all clients to access the internet via the router, not via the server then the router. Basically, by putting the server in as a RRAS server, you are adding extra layers of complexity.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Dear Ossian,

I use this server as an email server. my LAN clients are not serve any internet service from this server. They are just use email services (using outlook express or MS Outlook) from this server. but some of my clients are work outside from office. they are using their laptop to send & receive emails. they are not able to access these services(pop/smtp). hope u understand my problem.

Comment

As I said, the normal procedure is to use a hardware router (designed for the job) and forward the correct ports (25 for SMTP, 110 for POP3) to the internal IP address of the server

Since your LAN clients do not access the internet via the server, you must have something like this in place already
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Dear Ossian,

I have public ip pool. & this computer have directly assign public ip address. assigned from adsl router.

Comment

I agree with Tom.
                Buy a router and let that device handle it. The router will translate the traffic towards the server (for pop/smtp).
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                X