NIC properties of clients and servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIC properties of clients and servers

If we run WINS I know the wins servers IP needs to be in the nic properties.
    How about via dhcp, I give out the wins servers but do I need to enable netbios over tcp? How do I do that through the scope on dhcp or do I need to at all?
    On member servers do I need this set on all member servers, dc's and exchange servers?

Re: NIC properties of clients and servers

Hi,

if you decide to run WINS you should put your WINS servers in the properties on all computers, servers etc. Otherwise they won't report to the WINS server and you won't be able to resolve their names through WINS.

Q: Why do you run WINS?

I would push winssettings to all DHCP clients and then manually enter the properties on all other servers/clients etc.
    On the other hand, in a environment with Windows 200x/XP/*nix &c, I would run DNS and not bother with WINS.

//M

Comment

Well apparently there are many issues getting rid of wins I have been told.
      Things with OWA, things with the vlans, browsing stops or something across vlans?

Etc.
      I don't want it and then I believe exchange needs it for certain items as well?

Comment

Hi,

I run several Windows Server 200x networks without WINS, and over VLANS and with Exchange Servers (I work as a windows/exchange consultant).

I think I remember hearing something about Exchange (or maybe it was Outlook 2000/2002), needing WINS, but I can't imagine why. Microsoft does all in their power to get people off of WINS and into DNS instead.

DNS with dynamic updates perform the same thing that wins does, and a lot better (this is my opinion, not something I can prove).

Hmm.. I'd be intrested to study the resources that describes the problems you mention with a wins-less network.

Since you seem to have a rather large and somewhat complex network you could actually remove wins from one or a few clients and run them on pure DNS for a while. If you get problems you can always configure them to use wins again.

//M

Comment

Originally posted by spiderman
          If we run WINS I know the wins servers IP needs to be in the nic properties.
          How about via dhcp, I give out the wins servers but do I need to enable netbios over tcp? How do I do that through the scope on dhcp or do I need to at all?
          On member servers do I need this set on all member servers, dc's and exchange servers?
          Yes, you can set the WINS servers through DHCP. This is the recommended way.

Netbios/IP needs to be enabled; this is the default setting.

My recommendation: if you have more then one subnet, keeps WINS. Better safe then sorry. It can be quite hard to troubleshoot problems because netbios name resolution is failing.

Comment

Thanks, I am not ready to get rid of wins, I wouldn't mind some info on the computer browser service though.
            Does everyone disable that on clients now? Does that disable browsing, I have been told yes and no./

On member servers do I need to enable netbios over tpc or is that just for clients getting wins servers through dhcp?

Comment

Working...
            X