dc errors on one in vlan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dc errors on one in vlan

I have these errors on one dc in a vlan, it is 2003 sp1 and a gc.
    All roles are on another dc.
    I don't believe they need separating as it is one domain but does span 4 sites? All other dc's except 1 are gc's.

ntds replication 2088
    The dc it points to is at another site, I took a quick look and it seems that the nic properties point to a dns server at their site and then the 2nd dns server in the nic properties points to my mine dc in my other vlan with all the roles on it.

w32time error 47 Time Provider NtpClient: No valid response has been received from manually configured peer barbados after 8 attempts to contact it. This peer will be discarded as a time source and NtpClient will attempt to discover a new peer with this DNS name.

I do know the old admin setup atomic clock on each dc and was giving out one of them in a script using a command.
    SHould I do this with gpo and how is the best way? Should it be one time server per vlan or one for all machines company wide at my site? do I use atomic clock or just do a command line set time to an external source, use the hardware clock? I give it out via dhcp now, what about the servers on the newtork? How do they get it?

Re: dc errors on one in vlan

Hi,
    I do know the old admin setup atomic clock on each dc and was giving out one of them in a script using a command.
    SHould I do this with gpo and how is the best way? Should it be one time server per vlan or one for all machines company wide at my site? do I use atomic clock or just do a command line set time to an external source, use the hardware clock? I give it out via dhcp now, what about the servers on the newtork? How do they get it?
    If I recall correctly it is the PDC emulator that handles time in a domain. And PDC emulators in different domains synchronize time with the PDC em. in the Forest root domain.
    The only server that would need an external time source is the PDC em. in the Forest Root domain, all other servers/computers should synch with internal servers and this is an automatic process.

If you have time issues and you know that a previous admin used more than one internal time source you should check time sources on all servers and verify that they use an internal server (your PDC em.). Otherwise you may experience a rich variety of errors.

//M

Comment

Thanks, how do I check the other servers? Should i Just run the command line set option?

Comment

Try "net time".

I think we discussed the use of net time in another thread, didn't we?

net time \\computername

but I don't think you can check what ntp server other computers are using. You may have to do that on each one of your servers (or just the ones with problems...).

//M

Comment

Working...
        X