Dump Question about DHCP !!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dump Question about DHCP !!!!!

hello every body, i've one question about DHCP ...

In one of my small network has win2003 server, that running for DHCP service for
    clients in the network ... one day, one of user plug Wireless Router (enable DHCP Service) accidentally ... then, some of clients get IPs from this Router (wrong IP) and didn't get access to network ... i found this problem ... so i want to make sure all clients get IP only from my Win2003 DHCP server ... i want to prevent getting from another wrong configured devices like as above ...
    how can i do??? can i configure through GPO?? or is there Computer Startup Script that client can choose or point to default DHCP server??

please advice me urgently

Re: Dump Question about DHCP !!!!!

Can't do it, unfortunately -- Windows DHCP servers have to be authorised, but routers are...well...dumb...and will issue IPs to anyone who asks.

Suggest some non-IT solution like stringing up the offender by his/her thumbs for a week "to discourage the others"
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you use CISCO switches, you can use the DHCP helper address . Here is the full litterature :

Check this web site:
      ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=330807&seqNum=9"

Regards

Comment

If you have a small number of client machines then I suggest to use fixed IPs and disable DHCP.

Comment

Static addresses on workstations sucks. Use DHCP.
          Anyway, users shouldn't bring in there own devices. So a good chat with that guy might worth more then the hassle to switch to static.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Not a complete or easy solution to implement but have a look at configuring DHCP snooping on your networking devices or configure NAP/ NAC on the network.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
            X