Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share Folder Authentication

Hello All,

I am using one Domain Controller in Windows 2003 Server and one more Windows 2003 Server for Kaspersky Antivirus. In Kaspersky Antivirus System I Shared Few Folders. I given right as read and change for everyone.

My question for that particular folder I need to give a right as when ever user is try to access the folder he need to get authenticate and after giving the user name & password it should allow to go to that folder.

So please guide me in this regard.

Advance Thanks.

Regards

Lokesh Kamath

Re: Share Folder Authentication

This is not native windows behaviour -- you control access through a combination of share and NTFS permissions so if a user has access via both, they will get access. The only time you would get the prompt is if the user is not a domain member, and even then they can "cache" credentials

Why do you want to complicate things by asking for an additional level of authentication?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by slkamath View Post
      My question for that particular folder I need to give a right as when ever user is try to access the folder he need to get authenticate and after giving the user name & password it should allow to go to that folder.
      If the user has logged on to a domain computer with a domain user then they are already authenticated. When that user tries to access the folder, since the server already knows who the user is, it will grant them access based on the permissions Tom was talking about. So there's no need to prompt for credentials when the server already knows who the user is.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
        If the user has logged on to a domain computer with a domain user then they are already authenticated. When that user tries to access the folder, since the server already knows who the user is, it will grant them access based on the permissions Tom was talking about. So there's no need to prompt for credentials when the server already knows who the user is.
        Dear Ossian & Jeremy,

Thanks for your reply.

The NTFS Permissions I already given. Some of my management persons informed me that it's better we have authentication for shared folder. So I asked the question.

One more thing I want to know is

How to protect the share folder documents from copying? Is this possible???????

Regards

Lokesh Kamath

Comment

Presumably the "management persons" are Windows Experts? No, somehow I thought not

To protect files from copying, look into Windows Rights Management Services -- it is a Server 2008 Role.

A lot of initial admin and training, but provided you are using Office 2007 or above to create them, and Office 2003 and above to access them, you can set permissions like "no cut and paste", "no printing".

Note this will not prevent the file being copied, but will prevent access to the copied file. This applies to Office documents (Word/Excel/PPT) but there are 3rd party addons for other formats.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Presumably the "management persons" are Windows Experts? No, somehow I thought not

To protect files from copying, look into Windows Rights Management Services -- it is a Server 2008 Role.

A lot of initial admin and training, but provided you are using Office 2007 or above to create them, and Office 2003 and above to access them, you can set permissions like "no cut and paste", "no printing".

Note this will not prevent the file being copied, but will prevent access to the copied file. This applies to Office documents (Word/Excel/PPT) but there are 3rd party addons for other formats.
            Dear Ossian,

As you told they are not windows experts . But some time what happens is if I say it's not possible (blindly) they will not agree, also I too got doubt so I asked. Please dont mind.

As you told WINDOWS RIGHT MANAGEMENT SERVICES - is this service is there in windows 2003 Server? We dont have Windows 2008 Server.

Also you told 3rd Party Add-ons - Do u suggest any of them?

Thanks for all your information.

Regards

Lokesh Kamath

Comment

Actually it is, in a more primitive version, in 2003 R2 -- sorry, I for some reason thought you were on 2008 -- weekend, probably

Add ons for RMS -- use -- I know they exist but have never had to go beyond Word, Excel and Outlook.

As far as the management go, time for an upgrade, perhaps?
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Actually it is, in a more primitive version, in 2003 R2 -- sorry, I for some reason thought you were on 2008 -- weekend, probably

Add ons for RMS -- use -- I know they exist but have never had to go beyond Word, Excel and Outlook.

As far as the management go, time for an upgrade, perhaps?

Dear Sir,

Thanks for all your help. If i have any more doubt I will ask you. You are too gud and so kind of you.

Regards

Lokesh Kamath

Comment

Working...
                X