Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do not want power down when shutdown

Hi,

I am trying to configure my 2003 servers to stay alive after shutdown. I know that there is a regisrty key to check for that (powerdownaftershutdown) but it doesn't seems to work. I mean the key is set to 0 but the server still powers down after shutdown. Can someone tell me if there is another thing to check ?

thank you

Re: Do not want power down when shutdown

Can you explian hat you like to do?
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Hi,
      didnt understand by :

I am trying to configure my 2003 servers to stay alive after shutdown.
      would u be more specific ? what are u trying to achieve ?!

Regards

Comment

I mean I dont want it to shut the power down when closing windows. I need it to keep power up when shutdown (it is for a UPS configuration)

Comment

I'm sure you can configure the UPS software to do this.

What software are you using for this purpose??

Comment

Well that's the thing... The software can be configured for it but it needs the server not to be power down. The sodtware is APC network management Card.

Comment

Just a quicky.

What do you intend to do when the UPS batteries run out. The server will go down completely in this scenario and any configuration will not work anyway.

Why not get the server to suspend what it is doing instead of shutting down.

Another reason the server will power down after shutdown is due to the ACPI BIOS feature. There may be a configuration option within the BIOS for this.

Comment

The reason why I need it to be configured like that is because when the power comes back the servers will start automatically (well that's what the APC's guys told me to do...).

About the ACPI Bios...I was afraid of this answer as i read somewhere that when you modified that option you need to reinstall the OS to take it into account...

Comment

No offence is meant by this.

If you are running you server on batteries after a power cut and you run out of battery power your server WILL power off. There is no power to it so it can't run.

Again this should be configured in the APC software.

What version of the software are you running??

Comment

Sorry to reply so late. I have been pretty busy lately...

I know I am not very clear. So don"t worry.
                    Basically the APC software allows me to plan the servers shutdown. For example if there is a power cut, I can configure the UPS to wait a certain among of time before power down the servers (I can configure that on each server so they don't shutdown at the same time). the agent on the server will launch the shutdown command in the windows. So it will close properly. The thing is that when the power comes back I want the server to switch on automatically and for that apparently (from the APC guys) I need the servers to have the "now you can shutdwon your computer safely" screen when shutdown so the computer is not off physically (I guess).

I hope that it is clear.

About the software version: PowerChute Network Shutdown 2.2 build 116

Comment

Ahh now i get you.

You will still run into problems though if the batteries run out on the UPS.

I also think that you will need to re-intall your OS for this to work as it is using a different Power Management than what you are using. You may be able to change this in the BIOS but as for chnging it in Windows i'm not too sure as i'm positive it is to do with the HAL of the PC.

Comment

Hi,
                        i feel it will not reboot the system because it switch off the power , i am also using this software i have APC Power Chute but it won't restart system while power is online.

Regards

Comment

A w e s o m e !

Comment

Working...
                          X