Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICMP Ping time out

I was hoping someone could assist.

I have several servers in an environment, I'm basically having an issue pinging a netware device in a trusted domain, as simple as it sounds, sending an ICMP packet is sendt successfully but I receive no reply, yet I have no issues pinging the same netware device from al the other servers which are on the same subnet. I also don't have any isuses pinging form teh same server in question to another netware devbice which is in the same subnet as the one which I cannot ping.
    When a trace the route to the netware device it times out after hitting the default gateway. At first glance I would suspect it's network or firewall related based on IP, however, nothing was found, no traffic blocked. That's what I was told anyway.

I'm basically trying to make sure that there is nothing preventing communication from this server to the netware device. And was hoping someone may know what else I could check. I have already confirmed that all O/S, Firmware and drivers are the same form a Windows perspective.

What I haven't tried is changing the IP address to see if it's IP specific related, IP address based rule, NIC driver, IP sec etc.

O/S: WINDOWS SERVER 2003 SP2 STD

Any suggestions?

Re: ICMP Ping time out

if everything in the same subnet?

need a little more info..

ipconfig from:

1. the server you're trying to ping
    2. a server that can ping it successfully
    3. the server that can't.

Also - how do you know the icmp packet is being sent successfully, if you're not getting a reply?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi, Yes everything is in the same subnet mask.

So for example.
      Source which I cannot ping FROM:
      IP Address: 137.172.147.47
      Subnet mask: 255.255.255.224
      Default Gateway: 137.172.147.36

Source which I can ping from:
      IP Address: 137.172.147.50
      Subnet mask: 255.255.255.224
      Default Gateway: 137.172.147.36

The ICMP packet as indicated by wireshark is sent, that's as far as I went. There are no packlets returned from destination.
      Trace route stops at the default gateway and then times out.

From a network point of view I cannot see this as we don't manage that and was told that there is no traffic blocked.

There are no local firewalls blocking, AV etc.

Comment

what are you pinging TO ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I'm pinging to 10.124.22.40 for example, no reply, however, pinging to I'm pinging to 10.124.22.41 for example works form the server server.

They are on a different network, with a fortigate firewall in the middle. All traffic permitted.

When adding a secondary ip to 10.124.22.40, the ing was successfull.

To me it sounds like a firewall blocking it, however, as I was told it was clear and traffic permitted but I still have my doubts.

I"ve already compared network configurations on all servers on the same subnet, no local firewalls, disabled AV etc, still no ping to this one device.

Comment

Canyou ping the gateway???

If you can then your problem is firewall blocking.

You'll probably find that the servers IP address is not in a list of allowed IP's

Comment

Working...
            X