Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Servers, can ping by IP but not by name

Hello there,

I have two servers 2003 connected to the same switch.

Xserver : 192.168.0.1
    Mserver : 192.168.1.1

Both server have active directory and dns up and running (independent for each server), i have set up static routes in both servers, i can ping and browse by IP each server.

What do i have to do in DNS for me to be able to "ping mserver" from xserver and not get a hostname not found error?

Thanks!

Re: 2 Servers, can ping by IP but not by name

Are your servers in a class c network????

If yes then they il never talk to each other until you have a router in place, or a layer 3 switch at least.

Comment

Hello, netmask is 255.255.255.0

Servers already talk to each other, i have setup static routes in RRAS,

i can browse each sever by IP \\192.168.0.1 and \\192.168.1.1 with no problem.

the problem is using hostnames, if i ping for example xserver i get a hostname not found error.

i know that i have to configure something in each DNS server to be able to browse each server by hostname. I just dont what to configure.

Thanks.

Comment

Add an 'A' record for each server into the other servers DNS.

Comment

Thank you! that did the trick.

What im trying to do is this: windowsnetworking . com/articles_tutorials/Creating-Trusts-Between-Forests.html

Is this article they mention that i need to do a DNS prep work for setting up the trust, but they dont say what to do.

Adding the A record is all that i need to do for doing a forest trust or something else?

Thanks.

Comment

To quote exactly from your link:
            The next step in preparing to create a forest level trust is that you must make sure that each forest’s root domain can see the root domain from the other forest. This means that you will have to create the necessary DNS records and use the NSLOOKUP command to make sure that you can resolve domain names in the other forest.
            http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...n-Forests.html

Seems pretty clear -- set up DNS records in each forest to reference the other one.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'd use a conditional DNS forwarder in each site referencing the other. In the 192.168.0.0/24 site setup a forwarder for the dns suffix of the other domain which points to the DNS server(s) of the 192.168.1.0/24 site. Then reverse the process in the other site.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
              X