Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second CPU Problem on the SBS2000 Help Please !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second CPU Problem on the SBS2000 Help Please !

Hi Guys,

Couple days ago i have installed the second cpu on my Compaq Proliat ML350 server. First server couldn't start then i have repaired the SBS2000
    with the cd.

Now SBS2000 is working fine but i jusr cannot see the second cpu anywhere. One of my friend told me " you should see the second cpu at the task manager." And also you sould be able to use the second cpu for the application you want.

İs there anyway to manage second cpu on the SBS2000 ( Small Business Server 2000 )...

Thanks

Messenger

You will not see the second CPU without upgrading the OS's HAL.

Device Manager-->Computer-->ACPI Uniprocessor PC
    Go to it's properties, click the Drivers tab and choose to update the driver.

Choose "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" and reboot.

Note: can't say of the bat if ML350 supports ACPI.
    If you have "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" currently listed, upgrade to "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" otherwise to "MPS Multiprocessor PC".

This is very important ! if you choose wrong HAL, you will not be able to boot.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Hello Antid0t

I have already did the things you said.

i have already upgrade to "ACPI Multiprocessor PC"
      and then it required for reboot after then it couldn't start.
      So i had to repair the SBS2000.
      Actually i had exactly did what was writen about "HAL".

Now i am wondering where can i manage the cpu...

Comment

Have you installed the VRM card ?
        Does the BIOS recognize the second CPU ?
        Have you checked whether your server model is ACPI compliant ?
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Yes i did installed VRM card before install the cpu and i also check the compaq site. My server ACPı compliant.
          Bios recognize the second cpu as well.

Everything looks is ok. I just don't know how to manage it.
          My be there isn't anyway to do some specific settings on the sec. cpu ha ?

Comment

Well i guess no one has managed two cpu to gether...

Comment

I don't understand what you mean by managing the CPUs.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Biggles77

Someone told me you can use one cpu for SQL and the other one for the
                other application. I was wondering is that true...
                Or some other way to see how is the second cpu works a the moment...
                Something like that...

Comment

The operating system and the application have to be able to take advantage of a dual processor system. You can't click the properties of one CPU and tell it to run SQL and tick the other CPU to run the operating system, file serving and printing.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                    The operating system and the application have to be able to take advantage of a dual processor system. You can't click the properties of one CPU and tell it to run SQL and tick the other CPU to run the operating system, file serving and printing.

I have never heard of any hardware being able to allocate separate processors to separate applications either. By adding another processor to any system you are just adding to the total (cumulative) power of the machine.

....Unless someone out there knows any different?
                    If at first you dont succeed, Google it!

Comment

In Win2000/XP/2003 you can assign a process to a particular CPU
                      Go to task manager, right click the process, and select "set affinity"
                      As far as I can see from a dual processor 2K3 server, you can do this for processes running under a named user account (not system / local service accounts) and it would take a lot of hassle to assign one application only to a given processor.

Tom
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian thas what i am talking about. Todo this i must be able to see the sec. cpu at the task bar. Unfortunately i dont see at the moment so i have searched about the HAL. And i found out something that i didnt installed the HAL properly.

Wright know i am going to try to install HAL properly and do the things you said.

Thanks to everone that tried to help me...

Comment

This thread is probably resolved, but on a Proliant ML370, you need to boot to F10 (System config partition) or boot from Smart Start and when it loads, press F1 to reach advanced mode, when the Sysconfig tools load, scroll down and look for an item relating to ACPI and set it to "Full Table Mapped" >Save>>Reboot
                          this should bring the second CPU to life.

Vern

Comment

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=252326

This is the M$ article on the process

Comment

Working...
                            X