Lets backup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets backup

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some suggestions here... We've got a Windows Server 2003 std. sp1 machine and it carries approx 80Gb of information and growing. It currently has two 250gb drives in Raid 1, but im not 100% currently sure that you could actually rebuild the array if it failed and I'm looking for a backup solution.

I need a backup solution that actually backs up everything, not just files. In other words, I want it to be able to backup All the active directory settings, Web site IIS settings, everything. This way, when the hard drive does fail I can just run the mirror copy backup onto a brand new HD and have everything up and running in a few hours. (All the permissions, OU's, Users, Email, working again)

So to recap... I want something that takes a HD with 80.23 Gb used space and makes a mirror copy backup of exactly 80.23 Gb (not just files...EVERYTHING)

Do you guys know any solutions or anything I should look into? Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks,

Tyler

Re: Lets backup

Sounds like you need something like this:

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATISWin/
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation... glad to know it is possible, however we can't really afford $700 + backup device atm.

Is there anyway to just back up Active Directory then? (that way I don't have to redo all the users, OU's, Group Permissions yadda yadda) and then also backup the Files as well of course. Then i'll just have to redo some other things by hand.

I mean, what exactly does the FULL backup do then? Does It just do all files, no system settings or active directory settings?

Anything cheaper that can do the alternative?

Comment

You can always use the built-in NTBackup utility and perform a System State backup which will back up the whole AD database along with the server configuration.

If you do not have a backup device, you can backup to a file and then burn the created file to CD/DVD. This is kind of "poor man backup", but it does the job.
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Alrighty, thx Guy.. anyone know what kinds of effects this will have on PHP4, Mysql, phpMyAdmin and all the other things it has running. I'll probably have to reinstall and reconfigure all of those again without some kind of expensive imaging solution huh?

Thanks for all the info so far though, good stuff

Comment

You will need to reinstall PHP, MySQL, and (depending where it is installed) phpMyAdmin. The IIS configuration itself will be backed up as part of System State.

Just a question: do you have all apps mentioned above on the server which is also a Domain Controller for your AD forest ? (is it the only DC in the forest ?)
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Actually yeah, at the moment it's all just on one server. (bad I know )

Soon as we get another server i'll put it in the DMZ and have it host our web stuff. Until then, I was looking for a way to backup all this stuff heh

Only problem is im scrapping together a Linux box to do this and It cant be a BDC obviously. So I'd need an additional server to play the BDC role.
              Last edited by Tyl0r; 17th November 2005, 21:32.

Comment

Just a small observation. You mention you can't afford the $700 + backup device atm. Point out to the boss what it will cost in downtime and labour to get EVERYTHING back up and running again (include the possibilty of irrecoverable data loss). I think you will find it will cost less then $700 + backup device.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Point taken, so if the NTbackup.exe program backs up all your files and folders, including system state which includes Active Directory, and IIS. Then it must also include the registry, and if it does, why would you need to reinstall any programs? Or does it not copy ALL the registry?

I mean, if it does copy IIS, AD, All Files and Folders, and the registry then i'll just save $1000 and use the ntbackup utility for now. Were quite small and don't have very many files to backup anyways. I just wanted to start doing it for us.

So to recap, when you also select "system state" + Full backup what *exactly* is that actually backing up... in other words, how does this differ from a mirror copy backup?
                  Last edited by Tyl0r; 19th November 2005, 22:52.

Comment

If you run a full system backup, and i do mean full, then this will backup everything on your server.

This includes but is not limited to

Registry
                    Programs
                    AD
                    etc, etc, etc

So if you have configured your backup correctly then you should be able to restore everthing over the top of an existing installation.

Please note that i would install a basic setup of windows into a different patition and folder, e.g. windows and not winnt. Then restore the backup to the correct partition. Also edit the boot.ini file so you can still boot to a windows installation if it all goes pear shaped.

Comment

Working...
                    X