No announcement yet.

Emergency - unable to restore from Backup Exec

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency - unable to restore from Backup Exec

Please help as I am completely out of ideas now.

What started as a simple RAM upgrade has turned into a DR nightmare.

All started when I was upgrading some client RAM, and accidentally knocked out a power lead to 2 hard drives on their 4 drive Raid 10 array.

Array crashed and burned. After much swearing I got it to rebuild and the server booted, all was well barring the slowness due to rebuild.

That night for whatever reason the server rebooted. Wouldnt boot back up with NTDETECT Failed.

I managed to cure that by booting to Recovery Console and running a CHKDSK /R.

Server booted but something is fundamentally wrong with it.

The D Drive (which holds their main file share) was also corrupt. A CHKDSK on that repaired lots but many files are still corrupt or blank.

As Backup Exec 12.5 would not even start I resorted to complete uninstall, including the SQL Server. After much faffing about I have Backup Exec 2010 installed and "working".

They used 2 external backup drives to do FULL nightly backups of everything.

I plugged them in, ran inventory but unable to restore the stuff I need.

When trying to restore "The Selected media was not found in catalogs. You must first catalog the media if you want to use it for restore operations"

When browing restore tree the items either are greyed out or also have a red X on them. Clicking on it says "Not selectable for restore becuase not all media is available"

Inventory all runs ok

Catalog on the media either runs for a while or fails straight away with the error: "The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation."

When I first plugged the backup drive in I selected to run an Inventory on the Backup To Disk folder. I also ran inventory on the individual media objects.

I have also associated them to a new media set.

What do I do! I'm at such a loss.

Re: Emergency - unable to restore from Backup Exec

Re-catalog the media after following this article:

Re: Emergency - unable to restore from Backup Exec

Tried that already - no difference.

I have symantec on the phone now working on it, lets see if they can save me...