Remote login limits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote login limits

I have a 2003 server for my Active directory. Right now it limits remote logins to 2 sessions. Can I change this ?

Re: Remote login limits

If you are referring to remote desktop (RDP) you will need to purchase terminal server CALs.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Yes, I am refering to RDP logins. So I imagine I only have 2 CALs for that.

1) Is there some place I can verify that ?

2) Can I limit someone who has RDP access to just 1 login session ?

Comment

Those sessions are for remote administration only.

Is this what you will be using the sessions for or are you going to be using it for clients to login to???

As i understand it you can only limit session when using a full blown terminal server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830581

Comment

in pictures......
          see attached

mine is set by Group Policy, but you get the point
          Attached Files
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Well,

To explain my situation, this is not a terminal server.

This is a school, teachers are forever forgetting their passwords. I have my techs login to Active directory and reset passwords. But I have one guy who is great but a bit ADD and forgets to log out at times. So sincee we can only get 2 remote logins to the server, he ties up the remote logins at times. Now I'd like to use the baseball bat method to fix this. But he is an excellent tech, a former teacher, so he relates very well to them. And I'm new at being an admin, I know what I want and what needs to be done, but don't know where to find everything yet.

Thanks very much for all the help.

Comment

ah ha. Makes sense.
              Then I would get his password, and when you find yourself maxed out, login as him and take over the session then logoff. Its a bit unorthodox, but will work.

Comment

Or even easier is to use the Terminal Services Manager and connect to the server and disconnect his sessions from there.

Start, Administrative Tools, Terminal Services Manager

Click on Actions, Connect to computer then connect to the relevant server and log his session off.

No need to know his password then.

Comment

there's definitely an option to restrict remote users to one session only.. I just forget precisely where it is

As an alternate option, why don;t you just install the Admintools on the workstations.. then they shouldn't need to logon to the server just to reset a password
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                    there's definitely an option to restrict remote users to one session only.. I just forget precisely where it is

As an alternate option, why don;t you just install the Admintools on the workstations.. then they shouldn't need to logon to the server just to reset a password
                    Yeah, what he said or create a specific MMC tool just to change the passwords. This keeps your ADD tech out of the other things the Admin Tools have access to.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X