Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastering windows 2003 R2 server

Hi,

I'm upgrading all the servers at my work to windows server 2008 R2.

The first thing that i wanted to do was upgrading the AD to windows server 2003 R2 that's now running on the windows server 2000 service pack 4.

I dcpromoted the windows server 2003 besides the windows server 2000 to copy everything. The both AD functional levels were windows server 2000 native.

When i put the global catalog on the windows server 2003 R2 (mastering the server). The problems started: users can't logon anymore and after a while the domain was gone - couldn't recognized anymore.

I don't know what went wrong.

Any help would be nice.

Regards,

Olivier

Re: Mastering windows 2003 R2 server

uh.. how long ago was the domain last recognised?

Did you transfer the FSMO roles?

what does dcdiag tell you ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Making the new DC a GC does not move the FSMO roles, you need to do that manually. Did you install the DNS role/service on the new DC? Does it hold a copy of the relevant DNS zones? Did you update all of the clients and servers to use the new DC for DNS?

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        uh.. how long ago was the domain last recognised?

Did you transfer the FSMO roles?

what does dcdiag tell you ?
        It was still recognized till i did "net stop ntfrs" and changed the flag of the ntfrs to D2 and then "net start ntfrs".

I've did on both servers.

I didn't transfer the FSMO roles.

Haven't seen the dcdiag, because there where users that needed to work So I've activated directly the backup to restore everything.

I want to try it again this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          Making the new DC a GC does not move the FSMO roles, you need to do that manually. Did you install the DNS role/service on the new DC? Does it hold a copy of the relevant DNS zones? Did you update all of the clients and servers to use the new DC for DNS?
          I also gave the new server the DNS role. And yes everything was copied well.

How do I push the clients and servers to use the new DC for DNS also besides the windows server 2000.

I want to delete the windows server 2000 afterwards when everything is working good on the windows server 2003.

Comment

You need to configure the clients and servers to use the new DC as their primary DNS server, in the TCP/IP properties of the NIC on each client/server. If you use DHCP to assign ip addresses to the clients then you need to modify your DHCP scope/server options to assign the new DC as the DNS server for the DHCP clients.

Comment

You need to configure the clients and servers to use the new DC as their primary DNS server, in the TCP/IP properties of the NIC on each client/server. If you use DHCP to assign ip addresses to the clients then you need to modify your DHCP scope/server options to assign the new DC as the DNS server for the DHCP clients.
              They are all DHCP clients. Do I need to transfer the DHCP roles also to the new server?

The servers use a static ip.

Comment

If you're going to decommission the old server then you need to transfer all of the roles to the new server: DHCP, DNS, GC, etc., etc. I know you have some of this done already but I would suggest auditing the old server to make sure you have a complete list of roles, services, and data that needs to be transferred to the new server. The Active Directory database and the DNS zones should have been automatically replicated to the new server when you promoted it. You need to manually configure the new server as a GC (done already, right?) and you'll need to manually transfer DHCP to the new server. You need to update your DHCP scope and manually configure the statically assigned hosts for the new DNS server.

Comment

If you're going to decommission the old server then you need to transfer all of the roles to the new server: DHCP, DNS, GC, etc., etc. I know you have some of this done already but I would suggest auditing the old server to make sure you have a complete list of roles, services, and data that needs to be transferred to the new server. The Active Directory database and the DNS zones should have been automatically replicated to the new server when you promoted it. You need to manually configure the new server as a GC (done already, right?) and you'll need to manually transfer DHCP to the new server. You need to update your DHCP scope and manually configure the statically assigned hosts for the new DNS server.
                  So that's why it went wrong last time, because I haven't done the whole list. I will give it a try this weekend. Thank you very much.

Comment

Glad to help. Keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

I've seen also that the previous administrator has edited the default domain policy. Can I just duplicate it and rename it and afterwards put a clean default domain policy in the list besides the "old" default domain policy?

Comment

you would have to then unlink the old default domain policy

however, bear in mind that some policy settings can't be "unset" - ie, if a policy specifically sets an option, just disabling the GPO won't prevent the object from remaining set.
                        You'd need to create a policy that specifically unsets it.
                        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks tehcamel.

Second thing that I've noticed about the policies.

When you check at the windows server 2000 in c:\winnt\sysvol\sysvol\domain\ at this point I see 2 folders namely scripts and policies

When i did the ntfrs service (like I said before) those folders weren't copied to the new server. Also after one hour.

Comment

Report after this weekend:

I've did on the 2 DC dcdiag /fix and netdiag /fix
                            Checked again with dcdiag /v and netdiag /v on both DC.
                            Did net stop ntfrs
                            Afterwards I did on the W2000server a D4 in the registry on the ntfrs.
                            Did net start ntfrs

Started replicating very good.

Mastered the windows 2003 server with fsmo roles and so on. Demoted the Windows 2000 server.

I'm finally rid of the windows 2000. Will continue with upgrading to a AD 2008. Now it is windows server 2003 native.

I hope someone can do something with this information.

Comment

Well done!
                              Tom Jones
                              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                              X