No announcement yet.

member server cannot rejoin 2003 domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• member server cannot rejoin 2003 domain

hi all-

I have a frustrating AD issue that has had me banging my head against a wall all weekend now.

I have a Win2003 member server in a 2003 domain that appears to have been removed from the domain, but is still registered itself as being a member. The single DC in the domain does not list any account for the server. I have run dcdiag and netdiag and resolved the issues found by these tools with the DC, but one remains outstanding from the last dcdiag.

This is the single test the DC still fails in dcdiag:

Starting test: frsevent
    There are warning or error events within the last 24 hours after the

SYSVOL has been shared. Failing SYSVOL replication problems may cause

Group Policy problems.
    ......................... EDMSERVER01 failed test frsevent

How would I go about testing replication issues here? I have downloaded FRSDiag but am not really sure how to interpret and repair any errors it finds..

Overall, I have tested the domain with other workstations and they can leave and rejoin the domain without issue, so I am unclear if this is a replication or security issue on the DC itself at all, or a problem with the individual server.. given that it still appears as though it is a member of the domain.

Any help is appreciated as the problem child in question here is a production server.

Re: member server cannot rejoin 2003 domain

If there is only one DC, what is it replicating against?
    Have you checked event logs to see what errors show up there?

In general, change the server to a workgroup, possibly rename it, then rejoin to the domain
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **