Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help. Can't find/login to my domain after migrating DC to new box.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help. Can't find/login to my domain after migrating DC to new box.

Can you help me? At work I have an old 2003 server box that is a DC. It's been having problems so we bought a brand new server installed 2003 and making it the new DC. Did domainprep and forestprep on old DC. Joined the new DC to the domain, did DCpromo and promoted it to DC. Transferred FSMO roles from old DC to new DC. Transferred DNS to new DC. Made new DC global catalog server. Turned off old DC and tried logging into domain on workstation while new DC was still online. Says it can't login because it can't find the domain. I don't think I've skipped any steps but I'm completely lost. I've done this before and it has worked fine but this time around as soon as I shut down the old DC the new DC looses complete sight of the domain all together and doesn't allow anyone to log in. Even though AD is replicated and so is the DNS. When I turn the old DC back on everything comes back and the domain becomes available again. I'm lost, any help would be appreciated.

Re: Help. Can't find/login to my domain after migrating DC to new box.

Did replication occur between the servers???

Have you transferred all the FSMO roles???

Is the new server a GC??

Are your clients using the new server for DNS resolution???

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      Did replication occur between the servers???

Have you transferred all the FSMO roles???

Is the new server a GC??

Are your clients using the new server for DNS resolution???
      Hello Wullie,

I can see the users and computers in AD on new server. I can also see all the correct DNS entries. As far as I can tell replication occured between the two.

I'm pretty sure I transferred all the FSMO roles. I double checked. I will triple check tomorrow when I go in.

New server has global catalog checked as well and all workstations are pointing to the new DNS address.

Is there anything else I could have missed?

Comment

Did you make sure to point the new DC as itself for primary DNS and set the clients for the same? It sounds like you've got the new server and the clients still pointing at the old DC for their primary DNS.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          Did you make sure to point the new DC as itself for primary DNS and set the clients for the same? It sounds like you've got the new server and the clients still pointing at the old DC for their primary DNS.
          Yes I did. Should the new dc be 127.0.0.1 or the 10.0.0.x ? Or does it matter?

All workstations/clients are pointing to the new DNS server 10.0.0.x

Comment

That is correct. 127.0.0.1 is for internal use on the server only
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

make sure you update your DHCP Scope !
              It probably has DNS pointers in it, to the old server.

then, also restart your workstations. they may need to renew their ip configuration
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I know 127.0.0.1 points to itself and is the default for Server 2008 and above but I never tried this with Server 2003 and it certainly didn't insert the loopback into the Server's DNS IP by itself.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Boldfist View Post
                  Yes I did. Should the new dc be 127.0.0.1 or the 10.0.0.x ? Or does it matter?

All workstations/clients are pointing to the new DNS server 10.0.0.x
                  I know they are one and the same thing but i never use the loopback address in the servers DNS entries. Always use the actual ip address.

This is personal preference and others may differ from me.

Comment

IIRC they are not strictly identical -- something to do with the "inside" and "outside" of the network card.

Have to say I'm with Wullie on this -- I tend to use a "real" IP address
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I am having this same problem right now. I have also noticed the the netlogon folder and Group Policy is not replicating between the two servers, but everything else seems to be fine. I can make an AD change in either server and it will replicate to the other as well as DNS. Once the old DC is turned off I can not login and it says my Domain can not be located. Seems like DNS to me, but everything is pointed to the new DC and all the records look OK to me.

Comment

Have you used the diagnostic tools?
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Well I went in the next day to play with the new DC some more and see if I could get it to work, and they let me go. I've setup a new DC into an existing domain before and it worked fine, but this time around these issues cost me a client.

I did all the preps and transferred all FSMO roles and replicated DNS over and it just wouldn't find the domain.

Better luck next time I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                            Have you used the diagnostic tools?
                            Ya I've used dcdiag and netdiag and they said that pretty much none of the roles could be found at all when the old DC gets shut down. The minute I boot it back up everything is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                              make sure you update your DHCP Scope !
                              It probably has DNS pointers in it, to the old server.

then, also restart your workstations. they may need to renew their ip configuration
                              Didn't get a chance to change DHCP scope but I'll remember that for next time.

I have restarted the workstations a few times.

Comment

Working...
                              X