Server 2k3 with 2 NICs - Internet Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2k3 with 2 NICs - Internet Problem

Hi wasn't sure if i should post this question in this area or in general networking but here is my problem! I'm new to all this and this is my first server i think I've done well so far.... Please be gentile! :P

I have a Windows Server 2003 box running DHCP, DNS, AD, File & Printer Share.

The Server has 2 NICs. One for the internal Network (NIC1) and the other (NIC2) for the internet. Here is my setup (inline):

Internet

Belkin Router (DHCP & NAT both on):
    IP: 192.168.2.1

NIC2 (Auto Obtain) for internet:
    IP: 192.168.2.16
    SNM: 255.255.255.0
    DGW:192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server: 192.168.2.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.2.1

Server 2k3 (DHCP, DNS, AD, File & Print Share):
    IP: 192.168.1.8

NIC1 (Static) for internal networking:
    IP: 192.168.1.8
    DGW: Blank
    DHCP Server: Not shown in Details
    DNS Server: 192.168.1.8

Cisco Switch (No info just used as a hub)

Belkin Router (DHCP: on & NAT: off):

IP: 192.168.1.1

PC1 (Office) Wired Direct (Static)
    (Not on Domain - attached as Workgroup Computer)
    IP: 192.168.1.3
    DGW: 192.168.1.8

PC2 (Shop) Wireless to Router (Static) on Domain:
    IP: 192.168.1.4
    DGW: 192.168.1.8

The workstations communicate Great with the Server and the Server communicates Great with them (No Problems with file sharing or accessing anything other than the Internet)!

The Server has Internet Access That works Great.

However, NONE of the workstations can access the Internet through the Server!!!
    So there is my Question -- What do I Need to do to give the workstations the ability to access the internet??? And HOW? Remember I am new to all this so a very detailed explanation and a walk through would be GREAT!!! Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by TopClub PC; 17th July 2011, 19:49.

Re: Server 2k3 with 2 NICs - Internet Problem

You will need to configure RRAS (Routing and Remote Access Services) on the server so it acts as a router between NiCs
    Lots of links on to help you set it up: http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&xhr=t...gc.r_pw.&cad=b

But unless you have any serious reasons not to, why not have both server and workstations going directly to the router?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      You will need to configure RRAS (Routing and Remote Access Services) on the server so it acts as a router between NiCs
      Lots of links on google to help you set it up: ......

But unless you have any serious reasons not to, why not have both server and workstations going directly to the router?
      I have Reviewed many links to find a solution with no help --- Would you be able to tell me a bit more like what it is that needs to go there and are you talking about putting in a static route? and how?

The reason the workstations are not attached directly is because they want the server to be set up later as a Network Monitor and Internet Restrictions...

Comment

OK - I got it! WOW I had to walk away for a min. just to keep from pulling my hair out!

Came back, sat down and BOOM There it was staring me right in the Face!

When I configured The RRAS NAT I chose the wrong NIC! That was it!

For those of you interested if anyone else looks at this post and are having the Same issue.

Using the information above in my original post you can see NIC2 has Internet already NIC1 has the internal private Network.

Setup Routing and Remote Access Server Enable NAT then when NAT asks you to choose your connection..... Choose the NIC that has the internet attached (NIC2 for me). Complete the setup and there you go. Now if you have more than two NICs then I believe it will ask you to select the network that will have shared Internet access --- This is your Private Network (NIC1 for me)!

Hope this helps someone else!

Comment

Working...
        X