No announcement yet.

How many RDP connections allowed if TS is not set up

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many RDP connections allowed if TS is not set up

I have a bunch of Windows Server 2003 boxes and upper management in this specific company needs to access certain software on these machines. Up until now they were all logging in as administrator, and if one logged in while someone else was on, they would get kicked off. I don't like them having admin access so I wanted to make other accounts for them to log on.

I searched but can't find an exact science as to when it would allow multiple sessions under the same username, when it would kick one off if someone else was logged on, and most importantly, how many concurrent connections are allowed into the machine at once? All this is on a box that is not set up for terminal services.

Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can learn how to set it up in a way that if a few people in upper management wanted to log on at the same time I could create multiple usernames and they wouldn't kick each other out?

P.S. I have the same questions on Windows Server 2008 - I know it works a little different but I don't want to repost the same question there.

Re: How many RDP connections allowed if TS is not set up

Ok, I think I figured it out. (As an IT guy I've learned always to tell people to call me back in 5 minutes when they have a computer question, because usually after they ask they start researching and figure it out!)

There is a 2 connection limit besides for the console when using "Remote Desktop for Administration" which is the way to access a server when Terminal Services is not installed. Officially these 2 connections can only be accessed by a member of the administrators group. Even if you make someone part of the Remote Desktop Users group, he will not have access unless he is an administrator. The way to get a regular user access, is by going to Start > Run > tscc.msc > Connections > RDP-Tcp > Propoerties > Permissions and adding the local user (after you create him) to this list with User Access. He does not need to be a member of the Remote Desktop Users group.

Now onto whether or not a user gets kicked off when someone logs on with the same username...this depends on the setting in Terminal Services Configuration (tscc.msc) under Server Settings > Restrict each user to one session. If this setting is set to "No", then the sytem will allow 2 separate logons as one user. If the setting is set to "Yes", then when the second user logs on as the same username, it disconnects the first session and the second user sees what the first user was just looking at.

Here's a question semi related - if I get disconnected from a session by mistake, and the above setting is set to "No", when I reconnect, it gives me a new session, so how do I get back to what I was working on? And secondly, let's say I get disconnected from the second session...there are now two Administrator sessions open, and if there is a setting not to logoff the session after a certain amount of idle time, then how do I possibly connect to the server to logoff the disconnected Administrator sessions? (The only thing I can think of is to log onto the console session).

Thanks everyone.