Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to automatically send daily generated reports by email?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to automatically send daily generated reports by email?

I have been given a script that automatically checks the disk space of various servers in the domain, and have set up a scheduled task that creates the report via this script every morning. What I would like to do is to have this automatically sent out as an email attachment to several users including myself. The report is generated on a Windows 2003 Server that does not have an Outlook installation (although I could probably be able to put this on if required). Can anyone advise me of a simple but reliable method of accomplishing this?

Re: How to automatically send daily generated reports by email?

I have used bmail for this in the past, and it works great. Here's a link:

http://www.beyondlogic.org/solutions...mdlinemail.htm

After you get it working manually from the command line, just create a script and call that after your report script has finished.
    Last edited by georgeeye; 15th July 2011, 15:10. Reason: Hit submit too soon.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Is the software intelligent enough to pick up the most recent file contained within the folder and then send that as an attachment?

Originally posted by georgeeye View Post
      I have used bmail for this in the past, and it works great.

Comment

I don't think so, could you modify the way your script names a file?

The way I used this was to have my script's output go to a static filename, and at each run check to see if the static name already exists, if it does rename it with the currnet date, this is how I did it:

IF EXIST C:\output-filename.txt REN output-filename.txt output-filename-%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2%-%date:~10%.txt
        That way your bmail script will use the same filename each run, and you still have historical data from your script.

Also, to send attachments using bmail another program is used, called mpack, it is discussed on the page I linked to earlier.

Comment

I usually find DocumentBurster as a good software for automatically distributing various types of reports by email. The software is very easy to configure and get it started. You can find the software by googling by its name.

Comment

Not entirely clear how a tool (free or commercial) for distributing "Crystal Reports, SSRS Reporting Services, MS Access, Cognos, PeopleSoft and SAP" is going to help the OP with a self generated report (presumably a txt file)
            Last edited by Ossian; 17th July 2011, 21:21.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by doru View Post
              I usually find DocumentBurster as a good software for automatically distributing various types of reports by email. The software is very easy to configure and get it started. You can find the software by googling by its name.
              Thanks, but in the description it says the report needs to be in pdf format, while mine are in html.

Comment

you could use this:

http://kb.adeptsbit.com.au/doku.php/ran/sendemailscript
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                X