Question about scannow!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about scannow!

How do you run scannow on a laptop that had XP preinstalled? XP CD is not available. Only have system recovery disks. I have tried to change registry settings but scannow continues to request XP SP1 CD.

If XP was pre-installed the cab / install files should have been installed locally.

It may be that your registry has just not been edited to point to them.

Do a search for your I386 directory (if you have one, point it to that)

Normally it should be c:\i386 or c:\windows\i386

..if you don't you may have to acquire a WIN XP CD from somewhere!

Cheers.
    If at first you dont succeed, Google it!

Comment

Please do not suggest the CDs should be "aquired". This gives the inference that something is not kosher. This site does not support the "aquiring" of CDs for any reason and members should reaquaint themselves with the rules before posting statements like above. Thank you.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The problem is often that the system recovery disks are "ghosted" so all the files are hidden inside one big image file.

As suggested, find the "i386" folder and when it demands the CD, browse for that folder.

It could also be that the i386 folder contains XP (no SP) files so asking for the SP1 files is reasonable (as far as the program is concerned). In this case, you can d/l and unpack the SP1 folder from Microsoft.

As a last resort, speak to the maker and see if they will sell you (ideally give you, but I'm never that optimistic) the correct Windows CD.

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
          Please do not suggest the CDs should be "aquired". This gives the inference that something is not kosher. This site does not support the "aquiring" of CDs for any reason and members should reaquaint themselves with the rules before posting statements like above. Thank you.
          I take offence that anywhere in my attempt to try and help this person did I mention anything that may suggest he break any type of laws or copyrights.

Just because you are a Moderater does not give you the right to accuse people of such things either. The term "acquire" does not (if you look in the english dictionary) advise people of this course of action either.

Ossian echoed my suggestion to this member and if you check all of my posts so far have being trying to help people, not make un-substanuated accusations like yourself.

Making such loose accusations when people are only trying to help will alienate you and this forum. Don't make the same mistake other forums have made.
          If at first you dont succeed, Google it!

Comment

Originally posted by paul_uk

..if you don't you may have to acquire a WIN XP CD from somewhere!

Cheers.
            Then, what exactly do you mean from the above quote from your post? If you don't have your own legal copy, then it suggests you
            acquire a WIN XP CD from somewhere!
            Where might somewhere be??

I believe there is enough inuendo from your post to suggest the possibility of impropriety. In today's climate of piracy where a site could be held responsible for members posts, this site has to be seen to be 110% against the illegal use of software.

If you feelings have been hurt, bad luck. This site is an important resource and as such is more important than your hurt feelings. I suggest you word your posts more carefully in the future. A final point. I am NOT an moderator in this forum, just the Misc one. If I had been, I would have edited the offending line from your post and hopefully have avoided hurting your feelings. I hope this finishes this thread, but if you have further comments, please direct them to the Suggestions and Feedback forum so as to keep this clear for relevant posts.

Thank you.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Let me step in for a second

Let me step in for a second. I'm sure both of you had "kosher" intentions, and after doing what Paul has suggested (reading his posts) I'm 100% sure of his "innocence" on this matter. However I'm also sure that Biggles did not intend to offend anyone, and he basically did what I would have done had I spotted this post earlier. We cannot tolerate any illegal activities or even suggestions of "almost illegal" actions. If Biggles should be accused of anything then it is of "shooting before asking questions", but that's something I asked all my mederators do.

Let's get on with our business. Oh, and BTW, Paul, I welcome you abord, I'm sure we can all benefit from your knowledge.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
              X