Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two host name on same network

Hi dears,

I have one server contains Data and application. I created shared folders for all users to the server. now I'm planning to move the data and keep the application on the server. but as you know the name of the server will be changed and this will force me to cancel the shares on all the users PC's (100 pc) and reconnect to the new name of the new server.

Any way to avoid canceling the share name on the user's PC?

Regards,

Re: Two host name on same network

CHange to a DFS root -- you will still need to change the share names (one hopes they are assigned via a logon script) once, but never again
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Dear Ossian,

Thank you for your reply.

i don't know if i was clear in my first post. let me clarify more. i have server1 which has Data + Application. we got a new server2 and want to move the data from server1 to server2. my problem that i need to re-create all the shares for all the users who was connected to server1 to point to the new server2.

Does DFS will help me in this case? We are not using any logon script.

Appreciate more details from your side.

Regards.

Comment

You will need to recreate the shares to point to a new location. DFS would help future proof things as you would not need to change the location again.

Assuming you have a static mapping of e.g. the S drive to the old location, you could easily have a logon script to disconnect the S drive and reconnect to the new location, saving you a lot of work
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X