Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schema master offline almost a week

Hi,

When I transferred fsmo roles I missed the schema master role. Took the original server off the network a few days ago. Is it okay to put this server back on the network (with a different ip) and transfer the role?

Global catalogs do exist on the new network. All other roles are where they should be.
    Just don't want to corrupt mY AD.

AR

Re: Schema master offline almost a week

You could just "carpe FSMO" and seize the schema master on a new DC, but having said that, you might be better to bring up the old server, move the role and then demote it gracefully.

Note if you have done a metadata cleanup you cannot bring the old server back up without major risks
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Schema master offline almost a week

Actuall before I read this I did just that. Put the server in the back of my car, drove 2 1/2 hours to the other site, transferred and demoted. Just hope I remember to bring the servers home!

Comment

Working...
      X