Locking Down Users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking Down Users

I have Windows2003 Server running for my students in my classroom. I need to know how to lock down the profiles so students cannot put inappropriate images on their desktop. I would prefer to deny them this all together. How can I accomplish what I wish to do? Thank you

Re: Locking Down Users

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop. As a result, the user can choose to display or not display the wallpaper, but the administrator can choose which wallpaper is displayed when the display setting is ON.

Look under active desktop wallpaper, you can pick what wallpaper to displpay.

I've never used it, but the description and the settings seems like somsething you can use.

or

you could take a look at this article

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q280687

although this does not stop them from changing, since there are ways to get at it, merely this disables one option.

you could put their profile in mandatory state

change their ntuser.dat to ntuser.man

then they can change what they like during their sessions, however when they log out, their sessions get changed back to the default setup, before you renamed that profile

alternatively there are other solutions like that e.g: deepfreeze. They can all they can do the machine, but upon reboot it reverts back to a standard state.

I don't know if there is a policy outright that blocks users the right to change wallpaper, you can certainly disable as many ways to change wallpaper as possible, but that may cause you more administrative grief then ease.

definately look into mandatory profiles.

Comment

Re: Locking Down Users

Is this on the server or the clients?
      User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop. As a result, the user can choose to display or not display the wallpaper, but the administrator can choose which wallpaper is displayed when the display setting is ON.

Look under active desktop wallpaper, you can pick what wallpaper to displpay.

I've never used it, but the description and the settings seems like somsething you can use.

or

you could take a look at this article

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q280687

although this does not stop them from changing, since there are ways to get at it, merely this disables one option.

you could put their profile in mandatory state

change their ntuser.dat to ntuser.man

then they can change what they like during their sessions, however when they log out, their sessions get changed back to the default setup, before you renamed that profile

alternatively there are other solutions like that e.g: deepfreeze. They can all they can do the machine, but upon reboot it reverts back to a standard state.

I don't know if there is a policy outright that blocks users the right to change wallpaper, you can certainly disable as many ways to change wallpaper as possible, but that may cause you more administrative grief then ease.

definately look into mandatory profiles.
      I don't really care if they change it during their session. I do not want them to be able to keep it like they want it. I hate being a cop in the classroom, but I have a couple this year who seem to be forcing the issue. It is not just the desktop I wish to control. It is the access to some of the programs which install by default on Windows2000 Professional and WindowsXP Pro. I think that the ntuser.man is how I would want to go. I remember that from a short class I took. It sounded interesting to me so the instructor moved on to another subject. Thank you, I will look into these jewels of information you have given to me.

Comment

Working...
      X