Unable to move folder and contents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to move folder and contents

I have taken ownership of the folder and subfolders - even though I have full rights as admin - yet I am not able to move a certain folder (as administrator) from one location to another in win server 2003 sp2. The folder color is very light compared to the others. The properties show read only which does not mean much. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: Unable to move folder and contents

Nothing to do with GPOs -- moved to Server 2003 forum

Where is the folder located?
    Have you confirmed permissions have been applied to all contents?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

the folder is readonly. you can't move it till you remove the +R attribute.
      It doens't matter if you have full control.

Also, the fact that it's a much lighter colour than the other folders tells me it's EITHER a system, or a hidden folder.

You must also remove those attributes.
      I'd be hesitant about moving a file marked as RSH unless I knew what it was for.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The folder is a network shared folder. I have hundreds of them. The permissions are all ok and it is not a system folder. The read only attrib comes right back when I remove it. BTW, all the other folders are read only also and I can do what ever I want with them. This particular folder is somehow different. It belonged to a past employee and I just don't know why I can not do anything with it and why it is colored as if it were a system folder.

Comment

Is it efs encrypted by any chance?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What colour is it?

Comment

Usually, taking ownership of the folder on the server, then re-setting the security permissions and then applying them via the Advanced option on the security permissions dialog (Replace permissions entries...), will allow you to do whatever you wish with a folder.

Is the share located on the root of the drive or is it a sub-folder? Is it inheriting permissions? If so, make sure to Replace permissions on the advanced security dialog for the folder (choose to copy them), before you reset the security permissions.

Also, all default folder property dialogs have a tick next to the Read-only entry in the Attributes section of the Properties box unless they have been configured otherwise.
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thank you for the replies. 1. it is not encripted 2. the color is the same as a hidden/system file (very transparent) 3. I took ownership, deleted all permissions, reassigned permissions and still cannot move the folder. It is a subfolder.
                Last edited by sergenet; 5th July 2011, 00:39. Reason: missed a point

Comment

What do the Effective Permissions show for the account you are using for this?

Comment

Full control.

Comment

I can not see what error message is reported when you try to move the folder. Which message is it?

Comment

is this folder shared?
                        Also, get "unlocker" and check to see if any of the files are locked open.

maybe even turn off lanmanserver, then restart the server, and move the gfiles before any users get an opportunity to get a handle on them
                        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

There are no error messages: just unable to move folder.
                          Yes it is a shared network folder. I will try unlocker to see if there are any locked files.

Comment

Stop sharing the folder, rename it, then try moving it. You can always rename it if the move is successful.

If that fails, try using the attrib to remove the read-only attribute from the folder via a command window:

Start>Run Next, type

cmd

Click OK

navigate to the drive that contains the share. For example if the share named MyFiles and is located at G:\SharedDocs\MyFiles type:

G:
                            CD\SharedDocs

Next type:

attrib -r MyFiles

attrib or type attrib /? at the command prompt for more information.

Comment

Working...
                            X