Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xp don't access to shared folders...

Hi,
    I have a LAN with DC 2003 and clients with XP and Win7.
    For some XP client, if I logged as domain user, I can't access shared folders on a server 2003 (domain member, not the DC). If I logged as domain Administrator I access normally.

Another particularity: when I logged as domain user and type on the run : \\NAMESERVER\SharedFolder I not connect, if I type IPOFSERVER\SharedFolder I access.
    I checked the DNS and it seems ok, I will place the correspondence IPOFSERVER NAMESERVER in the hosts file on the PC but everything remains the same.
    What else can I check?

Thanks

Re: Xp don't access to shared folders...

Check permissions (share AND ntfs) on the folder you are accessing
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No, the permissions (share AND ntfs) of directory is Ok, in other pc XP the access is ok...

Comment

Is the user loggin on as part of the domain??

Is the PC part of the domain??

Comment

No, the user don't see any shared folder of the server. I only see a directory that is no longer shared.
          The pc is part of domain.
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pierino View Post
            No, the user don't see any shared folder of the server. I only see a directory that is no longer shared.
            The pc is part of domain.
            Thanks
            Is the user logging on as a domain member with the relevant permissions to see the shared folder???

How is the user trying to access the shared folder???

Can you browse to the shared folder via the run dialogue box???

Are the server and client machines on the same network???

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              Is the user logging on as a domain member with the relevant permissions to see the shared folder???
              Yes, the Shared folder is open to Everyone read/write.

How is the user trying to access the shared folder???
              The user map the shared folder in your pc.

Can you browse to the shared folder via the run dialogue box???
              Only by IP not by name

Are the server and client machines on the same network???
              Yes

Comment

If you create a new share on the Windows 2003 server and replicate the permissions, can the problem XP client's then access it?

Have you tested the access issue with a user account that can access it on one XP client on an XP client that appears to have problems connecting to the share?

Depending on what you find above, but I have sometimes removed and re-applied permissions before to resolve these issues but in your case. It would of course need to be done out-of-hours as some users can still access it.

You could explicitly add a user account to the share/NTFS permisisons for a user account that can't connect from an XP client and test.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                  If you create a new share on the Windows 2003 server and replicate the permissions, can the problem XP client's then access it?
                  Yes, XP client see all the shared folders on the server 2003 if I browse to the shared folder via the run dialogue box with IP address of server. If I use the name of the server I see only one shared folder and this shared folder isn't shared in the server!!

Have you tested the access issue with a user account that can access it on one XP client on an XP client that appears to have problems connecting to the share?
                  I connected it with the same user from a 'different PC XP and I have no problems.
                  I connected with another user, who has no problems on his PC XP, and does not work.
                  But the problem is not just this PC, other PCs XP on the LAN have the same problem

Depending on what you find above, but I have sometimes removed and re-applied permissions before to resolve these issues but in your case. It would of course need to be done out-of-hours as some users can still access it.

You could explicitly add a user account to the share/NTFS permisisons for a user account that can't connect from an XP client and test.
                  I have explicity add the user account to the share/NTFS permission but don't work.

It is a mystery!

Thanks

Comment

Any error or warning messages popping up or recorded when try accessing the share?

can the user ping the server by servername (ping both the full dns name and the short nb name of the server), what ip address is returned in each ping?

In the unc you use for the server name its netbios name.
                    Try also using the dnsname of the server in the unc: \\servername.domain.local\sharename

Is perhaps IPv6 installed and active on the XP computers?

a different thing,
                    Check whether or not logon information for the server is stored on the client. On one client run: rundll32.exe keymgr.dll,KRShowKeyMgrto open the Stored User Names and Passwords. if entries for the server exist remove it.
                    (Or better, run: cmdkey.exe /list to get a complete list. You can copy cmdkey.exe from a windows server 2003 machine to %windir% on the client).

The Shared Folder that is listed but in fact it does not exist anymore, you saw that shared folder in 'My Networkworplaces' right? That means de 'browse list' is not up to date http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=55687.

/Rems
                    Last edited by Rems; 28th June 2011, 10:34.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Does a net view command show all the folders?
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post
                        Any error or warning messages popping up or recorded when try accessing the share?
                        No
                        can the user ping the server by servername (ping both the full dns name and the short nb name of the server), what ip address is returned in each ping?
                        equal

In the unc you use for the server name its netbios name.
                        Try also using the dnsname of the server in the unc: \\servername.domain.local\sharename
                        BINGO! with the <A href="file://\\servername\"\\servername\/A see only one directory ( and this shared folder isn't shared now in the server!! ) , with the A href="file://\\servername.domain.local\">\\servername.domain.lo cal\ I see all the diectory now shared in the server!

Is perhaps IPv6 installed and active on the XP computers?
                        no

a different thing,
                        Check whether or not logon information for the server is stored on the client. On one client run: rundll32.exe keymgr.dll,KRShowKeyMgrto open the Stored User Names and Passwords. if entries for the server exist remove it.
                        The windows is empty

(Or better, run: cmdkey.exe /list to get a complete list. You can copy cmdkey.exe from a windows server 2003 machine to %windir% on the client).
                        result is:
                        Currently stored credentials:
                        * NONE *

The Shared Folder that is listed but in fact it does not exist anymore, you saw that shared folder in 'My Networkworplaces' right? That means de 'browse list' is not up to date <A href="http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=55687" target=_blank>http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=55687.
                        /Rems
                        No, I haven't events concerning the "<A href="http://www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm" target=_blank>Computer Browser service"....
                        Thanks

Comment

Since you are getting correct results by FQDN but not NetBIOS name, are you using WINS?
                          If so, have you tested/configured it properly
                          If not, can you implement it on a test basis?
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Can you also compare the Connection specific DNS setting between an XP client that does and doesn't have the issue.

ipconfig /all

Review the top section under 'Windows IP configuration'.

Also, are the XP clients on the same subnet or receiving their IPs from the same DHCP server. Is that allocating any DNS suffixes? Also, is group policy? It will be worth reviewing the group policy assigned to an XP client that does and doesn't have the issue.
                            Last edited by Virtual; 28th June 2011, 12:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                              Does a net view command show all the folders?
                              The net view command show only pc and servers: \\namepc

Comment

Working...
                              X