2003 -> 2003 migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 -> 2003 migration

I must be missing something, but virtually ALL the viewable articles on DC migration involve an OLDER version of Server to a newer one. All I want to do is move all my users and computers from one domain to another. What do I need? If it is the command line tool with a ton of arguments, I simply would rather copy/paste documents on the 100 computers I have to work with than to have to deal with that.

I was under the impression that ADMT 3 would do this, but the installer says it requires Server 2008! That doesn't help. If I use ADMT 2, all the articles are about NT4 or 2000 to 2003, and there are all kinds of qualifications for what to do first, which may not even apply to my situation because both servers are 2003.

Is there an article on how to move users and groups from one domain to another? It seems like something people would do a lot.

Re: 2003 -> 2003 migration

I did a swing migration with Jeff Middleton's swing migration kit going from SBS 2003 to SBS 2003 a few years ago. 100 users is a lot of copying if you are going to do it manually.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
      I did a swing migration with Jeff Middleton's swing migration kit going from SBS 2003 to SBS 2003 a few years ago. 100 users is a lot of copying if you are going to do it manually.
      It looks like this is an SBS tool. I have Server 2003 standard on both DC's.

I have ADMT 2 installed and the password migration server installed. I have read the readme document, which seems to list so many thing that can go wrong, that if I were squeamish I would relent. But I am an IT guy. I cannot afford to be squeamish.

I noticed in the command line help that the options file is required. I imagine that means it's required if I do not enter all the arguments myself in the command line?

Are there any decent examples of the structure of an options file?

Comment

You know, never mind. You have to be a rocket scientist to do everything Microsoft wants you to do using ADMT. As usual, Microsoft has pushed a task that ought to be simple and basic off to the end user, with 3 miles of command line arguments, a help file that is mostly about what can go wrong, a checklist of registry entries and permissions changes, and the mantra, "Well you ought to be certified!" Well I should be certified. Certified insane for adopting AD instead of some flavor of Unix! No wonder there are so incredibly few how to articles on the subject! Whatever happened to Netware anyways?

Comment

Working...
        X