Wrong domain is being looked at for Group Policy processing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong domain is being looked at for Group Policy processing

I have interited a domain in trouble. Logins from clients are taking 5 or so minutes to login, I suspect because the clients are attempting to process group policy from domain.co, that is what is say in the event logs. DCDIAG and NetDiag are showing domain.co as well as domain.com, which is the correct domain. I don't see any entries to domain.co but it is in netlogon.dns and in windows\schanel and a sch entry in the registry. Have trouble resolvoing with the pdc which is also running DNS Server. I would be happy to provide additional information anybody might consider important.

Re: Wrong domain is being looked at for Group Policy processing

What is the history behind domain.co?
    Was it a rename, or another tree?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Don't know a lot of history, but I think a domain rename was done.

Comment

Domain renaming is a more complex process, i will recommend to install/deploy domain controllers from scratch to avoid future problems.

Comment

I think the point of the post is that someone else DID rename the domain and the OP is trying to sort out the problems
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I am trying to sort out the problem. I agree that starting out with a domain controllor from scratch would be the way to go in the future but that really won't help me with the problem at hand. c:\Windows\SchCach has the domain.co in there. Three LDAP CN= entries in Hkey_Local_machine\Software\Microsoft\ADS\Provider s\LDAP, one with domain.com, one with domain.co, and a third domainp.com. Any help would be welcomed.

Comment

Search the AD schema using ADSI edit and change all entries referring to the wrong domain?
              (Note, have a good backup first and, if in doubt, dont chaneg anything)
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Looked around, don't see any entries there about domain.co. Any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                X