Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a strange problem with windows dns fwd to unix dns

I have a problem and hopefull you guys can shed some light

Right we use a windows server 2000 ad intergrated dns system.

the fwd and reverse zones are created for the ip subnet which all the windows systems are in. There are no secondary zone copies of the unix dns servers.

I have no problem with dns resolution whether reverse or fwd lookup on the windows systems.

The windows dns server is set to forard to our 2 unix dns servers.

ok now heres what works.

our linux and unix systems share the same ip subnet as our windows, obviously the windows dns servers only contain entries for windows machines only.

I can ping the linux and unix systems by their fqdn name or the shortened name e.g: linux01 or linux01.my.domain.com

no problems there.

I can do an nslookup on that name above and it will return a non-authoritive answer, which is normal, the windows client use an authorative windows dns for resolution and since the windows dns got that lookup from another source, I assume that is normal.

now the problem is with reverse lookup.

when i do a ping -a 192.168.1.100 for example, it pings it , but does not return the host name.

when i do an nslookup of that ip address, it says

*** server1.ad.my.domain.com can't find 192.168.1.100: Non-existent domain

ok, should the windows dns not fwd that request to the unix dns server and return a reverse lookup?

am i missing something?

Re: a strange problem with windows dns fwd to unix dns

Applying a bit of mindreading here I'm guessing that you have two reverse zones, one on Windows, one on UNIX.

This would explain the problem. If a DNS finds a domain (forward of reverse) that matches the query, it never looks further. So, of the Windows DNS has no PTR of a UNIX hosts, it answers that the record is not known.

Comment

You are right. The unix server has a fwd and reverse zone and also the same for the windows dns. Of course windows dns contains only windows client because of AD needed DDNS.
      Our unix dns, contains manually added windows and unix/linux dns records

so you are correct in your assumption.

>This would explain the problem. If a DNS finds a domain
      >(forward of reverse) that matches the query, it never looks >further.

Yup, make sense

>So, of the Windows DNS has no PTR of a UNIX hosts, it answers >that the record is not known.

Well here is the funny part. Ok I know the windows dns does not know the unix host. So should the reverse lookup not work the same way as the forward lookup? as in, since it cannot find the ptr in its own zone, so then fwd that request to the forwarded unix dns server to find the record? The forward lookup works fine, so i don't know why the reverse lookup won't.

or am i misunderstanding how the reverse lookup works? does it and won't fwd any requests to forwarded dns servers and merely stops at its own zone if it cannot find the ptr?

if that is true, can we change that behaviour?

Comment

There is no fundamental difference between forward and reverse zones. I think your windows and AD forwarders work because these DNS domain names are NOT the same.

> as in, since it cannot find the ptr in its own zone, so then fwd that request to the forwarded unix dns server to find the record?

No, if the query matches a domain it hosts, it just stops there and asks no further. That's the design. The only way out is to merge the reverse zones, and perhaps making UNIX a secondary to the AD DNS.

Comment

ah i understand.

the fact that my fwd lookup works is purely on the luck that they don't have the same name for the zone.

but my reverse will never work because to my windows domain. I am the authorative answer for the ip scope.

So I would have to merge the windows with unix somehow.

Comment

That's it, exactly.

Comment

Working...
            X