Best solution for VPN with single 2003 server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best solution for VPN with single 2003 server

I've been reading up and trying to find the BEST solution for setting up a VPN for some of the users. Two to three of them will have static IPs but about 3 others use Cingular wireless out in the field and have constantly changing IPs. I only have the single 2003 Server. I don't really run any applications from it that stresses the CPU. It is set up as FTP, DNS, DHCP and File server as well as having IIS setup for in house web page and minor program. Anyway, since I don't have another server I'm thinking I need to get a VPN router to handle the job. I also looked at OpenVPN. This is my first attempt at setting up a VPN and I don't have a test lab at home. I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Thanks in advance.

Re: Best solution for VPN with single 2003 server

Fortinet 50/60 will do the work and give you some antivirus scan.

Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

You can use Kerio WinRoute Firewall if u are considering a software
      solution. It has got a VPN server in it.
      By the way what will be the maximum no. of users?
      Regards,
      Spidey

Comment

I'm thinking the max VPNs would be 5 to start and maybe later a max of 10 to 15. I can't see it getting more than that for a good while. I'm looking into a VPN router/switch setup. I don't care about how I go about completing the task. As usual it's all about cost and ease of use. I've seen some pretty nifty VPN routers for under $300 that I think would work for our small office. I'm just not sure of the brands because it is difficult to find reviews on many of the models. The last thing I want is a router that seems to need to be cycled several times a week. Ugh.. I've seen that millions of times while doing tech support at my previous job. Any other opinions? I'm looking into the Kerio as you suggested as well.

THANKS!

Comment

Have a look into Sonicwall Firewalls. We use them at work and have users VPN into them. Not the cheapest though.

Comment

I looked up the Sonic Firewalls and they are nice but I don't think I could get a sale on it right now. We are currently setup through an ISP who provides the broadband and PBX through a router that then branches off to the server and to a 24 port switch. The ISP handles email as well at this point although I would like to run exchange server off of the same main server we have now.
            The salesman at SonicFW said that I would need to replace the ISP router with theirs or get the Sonic SL200 that is around $2K. I can tell you right now that the owner won't go for 2K. I'm not sure as to how I would physically set this up (where the VPN router would go and work properly).
            I looked and found a DFL-200 D-Link VPN router that is only $200 and looks like it would do what we need. At this point I'm coming up with more questions rather than answers. I guess that is the way IT goes though. Any extra input is appreciated.

Comment

I think the SW guy is telling you porkies m8.

Our setup is via an ISP router to the WAN interface on the SW firewall. This external interface has it's own public IP address from the block thi ISP gave us.

Our users then conncet to this using the VPN Client software.

Comment

If that is the case then it sounds like a great solution. I'm having a hard time determining which VPN router (firewall, virus protection, etc being part of them) is the best solution at the most reasonable price. My past has shown me that some of these routers need cycling too often and that's the last thing that I want. Anyone else have input on VPN routers?

Comment

Working...
                X