Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backup is not working right! Please help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup is not working right! Please help.

Hello,

I am trying to back up a 2kserver with a DLT IV tape drive using 40/80gb tapes. Currently, I am using the windows backup to do this. Tonight I am going to install Veritas Backup Exec 10d trial version. Anyway, The backup runs but then it prompts me saying there is not enough space to catalog the data, backup will finish but if you have to restore the data, you must create catalogs first. Is there some way to check if the data you are trying to backup will fit on the tape? I know that it is more than 40 gb but it is way less than 80 gb, assuming some compression is taking place I would think that it would fit.

Re: Backup is not working right! Please help.

There could be many reasons why the backup is failing to work.

Have you imported the media into BackupExec??

Are you overwriting the media when backing up??

How much free space is on your system??

Also the compression will depend entirely on what you ave on your system. I can remember backing up data to a 40/80GB DLT tape and it would ask for a new ape @ 45GB.

Comment

No to the first question, I havent even installed backup exec yet.

Yes to the second one, I think that I am overwriting the media??

free space is 10 gb left on a 63.8 gb drive.

I am still using the Back up utility that windows supplies.
      Why doesnt it compress at least some of the data?

Comment

I believe that this backup may be running out of disk space on the SERVER and NOT THE TAPE. On this server, the OS is installed on a very small disk or partition and there is on 4mb of free space. Could this be the problem???Does backup create catalogs on the server for the data that was backed up?

Comment

Originally posted by Solid
          I believe that this backup may be running out of disk space on the SERVER and NOT THE TAPE. On this server, the OS is installed on a very small disk or partition and there is on 4mb of free space. Could this be the problem???Does backup create catalogs on the server for the data that was backed up?

You said in another post that you had 10GB free space left and now you have 4MB.

You really need to clear some space on the partition, if i am presuming correctly and that is where the logs are being stored.

What script do you run to start the backup??

Do you have logging enabled within the backup job??

Is it definately NTBackup you are using??

To answer your compresion question, when a file is compressed you can't compress it any more.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. I dont run a script to start the back up I do it manually every night. I have a server that has a partitioned drive, the operating sys is on a very small partition, C: it is 3.9 gb with only 4mb free space left. I back up the other drive/partition D: which is 63.8gb with 18.6 gb free space. The error I get is this...

"Backup ran out of disk space creating the catalog files for the media. The backup operation will continue, and should succeed. If you need to restore data from this backup, you will first need to ensure there's sufficient free disk space for the catalogs, then catalog the media."

I assume now that it is because of that free space on C:. I will check to see if logging is enabled, but I assume that it also is because of the above error. I tried to install Backup Exec but there is not enough disk space!!

Comment

The catalog is created on the C drive, hence you are running out of disk space on the system drive.

You REALLY need to freee up some space on C partition.
              Guy Teverovsky
              "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

First thing to check is where the pagefile is stored. Move it from that drive if its on it.

Reboot your server and then delete the contents of the temp folder.

Comment

And the Temporary Internet Files folder needs to be cleared if the server is used for Internet access.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

So I believe that the solution is to increase the partition size a few GB. I am thinking I should get 3rd. party software to do this. What do you think about Partition Magic? any other suggestions?

Comment

No you don't need to increase it just clear some space from it first.

Once you clear some space from the drive then you can start thinking of resizing partitions.

I know years ago that we used to use Server Magic for this purpose. I'm not actually sure if PM will do the job. I could be wrong though.

Comment

PM 8 will.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                          PM 8 will.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I've never had the need to use it for that purpose so didn't know.

I do now.

Cheers

Comment

thanks everyone for helping me out. We were able to clear about 100mb but that is still not enough. We ordered PM 8 and I will let you know how it works. thanks again..

Comment

Are you sure PM8 works with RAID sets? Not that I know if the server in question use RAID.

ServerMagic does and is the intended product for servers.

//M

Comment

Working...
                              X