active directory problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• active directory problem

I have a server set up as a dns, dhcp, DC, and File Server. I recently purchased another server to be a second DC dns and dhcp server incase server one goes out or needs to be rebooted. I got everything set up on the second server and it hands out ip addresses and still gives client computers connection to the web if server one is turned off. However I am unable to load roaming profiles on it when server one is off. It says it cannot contact the domain controller and changed settings cannot be saved. I have both servers doing a Global catalog. Any ideas on what my problem is? I am running windows server 2003 r2 enterprise 64

Thanks,

John

Re: active directory problem

Where are your roaming profiles stored???

Comment

They are stored on server 1

Comment

Right and your wondering why clients can't gt access to roaming profiles if the server is turned off?????

Comment

Is there a way to put the user profiles on both servers? Sorry I have only been messing with servers for 2 weeks so my knowledge is very limited. I thought making a GC would replicate the files.

Comment

You need to set up DFS replication of the profile directory AND make sure the profiles point to the DFS root, not to an individual server

GC replicates part of AD, but doesnt replicate anything else.

In general, avoid full profile replication and look at redirection of critical elements (documents, desktop etc)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

oh dear me some of these threads are making me chuckle recently.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                oh dear me some of these threads are making me chuckle recently.
                He ain't doing too bad for someone who has "only been messing with servers for 2 weeks".

Let's not go . Ta.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X