No announcement yet.

HELP!! window server 2003 issues

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! window server 2003 issues

I am new to server 2003 and I don't know much about networks. Since our network administrator quit, I was assigned to this job.

Now. the issue starts from last week, when I was trying to add a new user to the system. The new user is able to login to the server. however, he can't access the internet. The new user's work station is from a previous employee. i was trying to add the computer to the domain under the new user's profile.

There must be something I did.

Then I got this error message:

Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later.

So, I follow the instructions on "Fixing windows cannot connect to the domain errors" guide.

I change the computer name and I typed in WG as work group.

Now, when I was trying to reboot. I can't use the administrator's password to log on.

And the log in screen will normally show an option, the server I am trying to log on to, is now gone.

Can someone help me please?

Thank you

Re: HELP!! window server 2003 issues

Probably should be in Server 2003 forum
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

You need to use the local administrator's passwword to login, since the computer was removed from the domain, the doamin admin account will not be useable on this PC.

As Georgeeye said.
        take a look in the reset-password forum, and find a way to reset the local administrator passowrd on the computer.
        (Or, you could reinstall windows XP)

Once you have sorted out the local administrator password, then you can join the domain again.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Before re-join the computer to the domain with the same computer name, go to the domain controller and open 'Active Directory Users and Computers' find the old computer (be sure it is the one!!) rightclick on it and choose Reset.

Next time when adding new users to the domain you should not change anything on the client computer if an previous/other user was able to access the internet from that computer a new user also can. I am not sure if you did but new domain users should be added only on the Domain controller, then the default setting is that they can login to any client computer. The user should then also have access to the internet unless internet access is somehow limited to just a group of users.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts