workgroup to domain DNS server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• workgroup to domain DNS server?

I have domain let call it mydomain.com. That works ok. However, I have one new server in workgroup (not in domain) to add. Thus I have to set up Network connection for that server. The problem is to do with DNS selection. I do not know whether to put as a dns server my DC server or external dns server supllied by ISP? My DNS DC works under "Integrated Security". Maybe that should be changed as well?

In both cases I do not know whether it should be unticked "Register this connection in DNS" or not? I am going to put DNS A record for workgroup server in his host file, but still if there any other ways to do the same?
    Last edited by pereubu; 24th May 2011, 08:47.

Re: workgroup to domain DNS server?

If you want to be able to resolve internal names of your domain, use your DC.

If you only want to be able to resolve external domain names, use your ISP

Registering in the DNS won't be any use if you are using the ISP but will allow other servers to find that server if you are using the domain.

Comment

you're joining the server to your domain.

DNS services are integral to domain functionality.
      Ergo, use the Domain's DNS servers, not the ISP's.

If you have your architecture setup correctly, it should forward requests anyway.

Don't change the Integrated Security - you don't understand what it is, so it's best for you to just leave it as it is.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

OK, I can use ISP DNS server - that is second aopproach . I need dns for extenal dns registartion, such as using internet web sites. However, I am going to put that particular A record in drivers/etc/hosts, what I mean the computers which are to call workgroup server by its dns name, must have host A record for this computers in hosts file .

This server should not be a part of domain computers. What I wanted to use DC DNS server for external dns purposes. I do not need to register DNS record.

But I could generate A record for that purpose in DC DNS, and get the same as I registered with DNS?

I have to apologise it is not integrated Security but Active Directory-Integrated. Dynamic Upadate is Secure Only?

Comment

it's all fine. There's no need to mess with any of the DNS configuration on the DC at all.

Just tell your new workgroup server to use the IP Address of the DC as the DNS server.
          This (should) allow you to resolve both internal, and external addresses.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X