Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot ping one server

Hi,

I have one particular server which I cannot ping one device on a different network\domain. However, I can ping another device of the same structure and on the same remote domain fine from this server.
    The device which I cannot ping form this particular server can be pinged from other servers successfully. THese servers are in the same
    subnet\mask as the one which I cannot ping from. Same hardware, same NIC, same configuration and accoridng to the network engineers they can't see any problems.
    When I ping it routes to the default gateway (same as the other servers) and just times out. There are no duplicate IP's on the network. IP is astatically assigned. I've run wireshark but cannot get anything out of it. I also tried network monitor, nothing obvious. What else can I try from a server perspective apart from trying to give it a new ip, patching to a different port on the switch, changing network etc? That would be last resort.

Re: Cannot ping one server

check for ipsec policies, and firewall rules.
    also try resetting ARP cache on both devices.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Have you tried the ping going the other way?

IE in your setup Server A can't ping Server B so have you tried a ping from Server B to Server A?

This is not as usuless as it may sound. It will rule out whether it is firewall issue or routing issue. For example if you can ping then this indicates it can route correctly. If it fails then it could be being blocked by the firewall or it still could be a routing issue.

What operating systems are on both machines?
      Are they in the same domain or separate?
      If they are in separate domains is their a trust between them?

Comment

Sometimes, you should use tracert ili trace route to see whether these paths are the same. Also check print route if it is windows operating sistem.
        Check whether you have nat somewhere? Probably not!

Comment

Originally posted by pereubu View Post
          Sometimes, you should use tracert ili trace route to see whether these paths are the same. Also check print route if it is windows operating sistem.
          Check whether you have nat somewhere? Probably not!
          I think you meant:
          route print

not print route

Comment

CAn you give us a quick diagram of how these networks are setup and what devices are connecting them.

From what i can gather you have 2 seperate networks. On one server in your network, lets call it A, you can ping at least 1 server on network B successfully but you are unable to ping another server on the same B network.

What firewall devices do you have in place between these networks???

What routing devices do you have between these devices??

Is the server you are trying to ping definately on line??? Does it have a DRAC or iLO that you can connect to to check???

Comment

Working...
            X