How to manually associate File Extensions in AD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to manually associate File Extensions in AD

I want to publish 7zip to all users, so that when a user open a *.zip or *.7z file, the software will be automatically installed.

The *.msi from 7zip does not configure the File Extension in AD.

I need a way to manually configure the association. How to do this?

Thank you,
    Michael

Re: How to manually associate File Extensions in AD

As far as I am aware this it is not possible to do this by default in AD.

However there IS an answer out there but you should have as per the Forum rules first.
    The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
    ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can install applications for users using AD but i've never heard of installing an applicatin on a double click event.

I could be wrong though.

Comment

1. install the 7zip program with MSI.
        3. add a script to the AD : assoc [.ext] = 7z_auto_file

Comment

This is my summary so far.

1. Before using ASSOC, 7zip must have been installed. But my original idea is to delay the installation of 7zip till the user clicks a 7z file.

2. Now, I realize, the solution requires 7zip to package its MSI in a special way to support advertisment. If that is done, the following should happen:

a. XP notice this Software Installation GPO, so it run msiexec -j 7zip.msi
          b. The -j option installs the 7zip "as if" it is real. It will create short cut, associate file extensions, but, not physically copy files into harddisk.
          c. When the user click the .7z file, the software will be physically installed.

By now, my original question has been answered. But a new question comes, how to transform an existing MSI to support advertisment installation (also called install-on-demand) using ORCA?

Will do it another day in a new thread.

Thank you all.
          Michael

Comment

Working...
          X