Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCPROMO using RDP - remote site

All-

We have a site we recently moved servers to and I need to do promote two of them to domain controllers. Being as they are far away I would like to use Remote Desktop to get into the servers and do the promotion. Does anyone see any problem with this? Do I run a chance of losing the session during the promotion?

Otherwise I will need to travel to the site and do the work

AR

Re: DCPROMO using RDP - remote site

I have used RDP to demote and promote DC's at remote sites with no issues, just make sure you have your policies setup to allow RDP for your domain admins, and you should be fine.

Comment

do you not have iLOs/DRACs on the servers?

RDP should be fine, except for when it reboots.
      If in doubt, RDP to a workstation at the site.
      From the workstation, start a ping that doesn't run out
      Then RDP from that workstation to the DC.
      AT least if the session drops, you'll be able to watch the pings until they come back.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        If in doubt, RDP to a workstation at the site.
        From the workstation, start a ping that doesn't run out
        Then RDP from that workstation to the DC.
        AT least if the session drops, you'll be able to watch the pings until they come back.
        If you have access to RDP to a server why would you RDP to a workstation to watch a ping when you can do it locally??? Just seems like more work IMO.

Please don't take offence to that as i'm not implying that your wrong.

OP,

I've used RDP to demote servers on the other side of the workd to us and its work each and every time i've done it.

Just login to the console session and its like logging in locally.

Comment

nah - no offence at all

the reason I suggested what I suggested is, Icmp may not be allowed to traverse your firewalls.

And when you server does restart, if it's a slow server, you could get paranoid that it's not coming back up - at least with your running ping, you'll know roughtly when it's gone down, and roughly when it's reconnected to th network to start trying RDP again..
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Well I logged into the servers, did some nslookup to check dns, ran dcdiag and all was well. Ran dcpromo on both servers remotely with no problems. NOW I am going to move DNS. Should be no problem.

Thanks for the input folks!

Comment

what do you mean, move DNS?
              Isn't your DNS AD integrated ?

Comment

But remember for an additional DC, DNS does not come by default

araczek: make sure you check in AD Sites and Services you have the remote site correctly defined and the DC has appeared there, also probably make it a GC
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X