Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LSI 1030 RAID Controller - can we migrate to different drives?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSI 1030 RAID Controller - can we migrate to different drives?

We have a 1 RU IBM server (sorry, but I don't recall the model number and I'm off site) that has an LSI 1030 RAID controller. There is absolutely no ventillation across the drives - the backplane has no perforations nor are there any perforations on the side. We used to have 146GB SCSI drives, but we upgraded them to 300GB drives. The newer drives are not genuine IBM drives but Fujitsu MAW3300NC drives. We've gone through several brand new Fujitsu drives over the past few years, so I'm speculating that they are more sensitive to heat.

I've tried to Google for an answer to this question, but is it possible to pull out a Fujitsu drive and install a 90P1311 IBM drive and have the RAID rebuild? Even though both are 300GB, I'm not sure if this controller can handle this. After the RAID rebuilds, I was going to put in a second 90P1311 drive.

Thank you.

Re: LSI 1030 RAID Controller - can we migrate to different drives?

Can't speak for this exact configuration, but in general I have found all RAID controllers quite tolerant of replacing a drive with another of any brand with the same or larger capacity. The only issue is where one makes "300 GB" is 298 and the installed drive is really 300
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: LSI 1030 RAID Controller - can we migrate to different drives?

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
      X