Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operating System install on a RAID setup

HI again,
    I have just purchased an old dell server which contains 6hds in a RAID 5 setup. I am trying to get windows server 2003 to install but with no luck.
    The process formatts the hard drive to ntfs and then copies all the necessary install files. A reboot is performed and i get an error message when it tries to continue the setup .
    something like can not read from disk.

Can anyone help me install windows server 2003 on my disk setup, or do i have to change the RAID configuration

Thanks

Paul

Re: Operating System install on a RAID setup

During the start of the install process you are asked to press F6 if you want to install additional drivers. At this point you NEED to press F6 and install the drivers for the RAID controller.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

oh, might be a problem. it didn't come with any drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
        During the start of the install process you are asked to press F6 if you want to install additional drivers. At this point you NEED to press F6 and install the drivers for the RAID controller.
        I would have thought that if it was able to format the disks then it knows about the raid controller?

If you dont press F6 and install the raid driver then it doesn't find the disk / disks

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yes it does find the disks. I think the disk are working when windows copies the installation files the lights on the hard drives go mad.
          I also found the driver from the dell website, I then pressed F6 when windows began setup. It prompted me for my driver disk which i inserted into the floppy drive, it then said windows already has a newer version of the driver installed.

I went through the installation process again with the older driver and the exact problem occured after the copying of the setup files.
          "A read error has occurred"

Some info on the system:
          Dell poweredge 6300
          poweredge raid II adapter
          RAID 5 setup (via bios config)

Comment

Originally posted by digital21st
            Yes it does find the disks. I think the disk are working when windows copies the installation files the lights on the hard drives go mad.
            I also found the driver from the dell website, I then pressed F6 when windows began setup. It prompted me for my driver disk which i inserted into the floppy drive, it then said windows already has a newer version of the driver installed.

I went through the installation process again with the older driver and the exact problem occured after the copying of the setup files.
            "A read error has occurred"

Some info on the system:
            Dell poweredge 6300
            poweredge raid II adapter
            RAID 5 setup (via bios config)
            Perhaps a problem with the 2003 media after it's copied the information to the HD and rebooted - Have you got another copy of 2003 srv?? - Failing that it may be a problem with one of the disks

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I disabled 5 of the hard drives and tried to install server 2003 from a different disk onto a asingle hard drive.

Now i recieve this error

Invalid boot.ini file
              booting from c:\windows\
              NTDETECT failed

any ideas

Comment

This PowerEdge RAID appears to have an Adaptec AHA-294X/AHA-394X/AIC-87XX SCSI Controller.
                http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...e=supportindex

Doesn't appear to be a Windows 2003 driver (but only had a quick look on the Adaptec site).
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                  This PowerEdge RAID appears to have an Adaptec AHA-294X/AHA-394X/AIC-87XX SCSI Controller.
                  http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...e=supportindex

Doesn't appear to be a Windows 2003 driver (but only had a quick look on the Adaptec site).
                  Windows already contains drivers for many of the more common scsi controllers.
                  Last edited by ahinson; 8th November 2005, 20:37.
                  Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by digital21st
                    I disabled 5 of the hard drives and tried to install server 2003 from a different disk onto a asingle hard drive.

Now i recieve this error

Invalid boot.ini file
                    booting from c:\windows\
                    NTDETECT failed

any ideas

Boot to the recovery console from the cd and repair the boot and master boot sector on the drive and try again.

FIXBOOT
                    FIXMBR
                    Andrew

Comment

Working...
                    X