NTFS, deny access for computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS, deny access for computer

Did anyone successfully manage to set deny access for a specific computer to a folder's NTFS permissions?

From my books it seems like it should be possible to for instance deny a user to get access to folder and files when he is logged on from a specific computer.

I managed to set the deny access for the computer in the ACL, but it just doesn't work. The user can access the folder and files anyhow from that computer.

Re: NTFS, deny access for computer

Don't think it can be done on the computer level. You can do the reverse: allow only certain computers to communicate, but not others.

Strange requirement, by the way. What's the idea?

> managed to set the deny access for the computer in the ACL, but it just doesn't work

That blocks the computer, not the user! A computer is a full-blown 'user' in AD in the sense that you can set permissions for it, or make it a member of a group.

Comment

Re: NTFS, deny access for computer

The MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit for Exam 70-290 'Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment' states as follows:

Windows Server 2003 allows you to add computers to an ACL, thereby adding flexibility to control resource access based on the client computer regardless of the user who attempts access. For example, you may want to provide a public computer in the employee lounge, but prevent a manager from exposing sensitive data during his or her lunch break. By adding the computer to ACLs and denying access permission, the manager who can access sensitive data from his or her desktop is prevented from accessing it from the lounce.

This is exactly the kind of functionality I'm looking for. As I said, I manage to add the computer to the ACL, but the user can still access the folder from that computer.

Comment

Working...
      X