No announcement yet.

Adding Local User to Domain Controller

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Local User to Domain Controller

I was wondering if they a hack to add a Local user to a secondary domain controller? We are having probelms with our secondardy domain controller. I know i must run dcprompo to take it off the network. It has some live data on the server, I have heard if dcromo does not work you could lose all the data on the server, so i wanted to add a New local user on the machine

Re: Adding Local User to Domain Controller

Domain Controllers do not have local accounts, so no, you cannot.
    Presumably you still have access to the data so can back it up elsewhere?
    DCPromo is generally non-destructive, but a good backup is advisable
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

you could try starting the server in authoritative DSRM ?
      Just make sur5e it's not connected to the network first.

Alternately, you could remove the hard drive, plug it into another device, and make an appropriate backup of your live data.

Although, it does beg the question:
      why don't you have an existing backup of your live data? if you have regimented backups, then there's no need for the concern you have.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

DCpromo will not destroy the data on your drives, except the logical infromation stored in AD will be vanished, i think you can still take the backup of your data if in case dcpromo fails.